63°

Reasons for the Bruins’ Exceptional Play Lately

It has been no Pasta no problem for the Boston Bruins, as they have won four games in a row without their star right winger. It seems that ever since Pastrnak’s freak injury, the Bruins depth scoring has been resurrected. Now it will be boosted even further with the addition of Charlie Coyle. Here are the keys to the Bruins’ recent success.

Goaltending

Tuukka Rask has been on a tear of late coming out victorious in each of his last six starts. Along with Rask, Jaroslav Halak has played well during the Bruins six game-winning streak, finishing his last two games only allowing a total of one goal in those games. The Bruins will need this goaltending going forward as the playoff push is in full swing.

Secondary Scoring

Here we are again, talking about the Bruins and their secondary scoring issues. Except . . . This time it is not an issue, the Bruins have been getting a ton of production from their bottom nine forwards and defense. In the Bruins six game winning streak, 18 of the Bruins goals came from their bottom nine forwards and defenseman, the Bruins top line scored a total of eight goals in that stretch. If the Bruins can keep this production up and maybe even add a quality forward at the trade deadline, secondary scoring might actually be a strength heading into the playoffs for the Bruins.

Youngsters

The Bruins have made several attempts at incorporating young AHL players into the Bruins lineup this season, although few have really panned out. That is until now. The most recent flurry of young guns the Bruins have attempted to incorporate includes Karson Kuhlman, Trent Frederic, and Peter Cehlarik. Cehlarik has been in the NHL before, but has not made quite as big an impact as he is now, and although Frederic and Kuhlman have combined for just one point since being called up, both look very comfortable out there. The Bruins have also gotten some production from players like Jake DeBrusk, Danton Heinen, and Charlie McAvoy of late, all combining for a total of 20 points in the last six games. These are the guys that need to be on top of their game in order to make a deep playoff run.

It has been no secret that the Bruins have been red hot as of late, and after adding forward Coyle, the Bruins look even more equipped to make a deep run in the playoffs this season. The Bruins have also appeared to be heavily involved in trade talks to acquire Mark Stone from the Ottawa Senators. The Bruins should still have the trade chips to acquire Stone or another player like him despite the trade for Coyle, so do not be surprised if this red hot Bruins team makes a splash at the trade deadline. If the Bruins do make another trade at the deadline for a quality player like Stone, this team would be equipped to make a run at the Stanley Cup.

Jonathan Hopkins, Sports Editor