66°

Patriots Offseason Expectations

The New England Patriots are Super Bowl Champions for the sixth time in franchise history and are coming off of one of the most remarkable seasons in the Bill Belichick era. Everyone appeared to be as thrilled as ever after the game, and the excitement continued throughout the parade. It’s definitely not time to stop celebrating and reflecting on the fantastic season; however, it is now the offseason and big decisions are right around the corner. Although no one wants to start thinking about who is staying and leaving, it is appropriate to start considering the necessary moves.
Let’s start with the obvious one, Rob Gronkowski. Gronkowski has speculated retirement ever since the week leading up to the Super Bowl against the Philadelphia Eagles last year. In the 2018 offseason, Gronkowski seemed like he was close to retiring, and then at one point was even about to be traded to the Detroit Lions. This year, it has almost been a given that it would be Gronkowski’s last NFL season. Based off of the way he competed throughout the playoffs and especially the Super Bowl, he would be going out looking about as strong as ever. There is something to be said for going out on top, and I would be very surprised if we see Gronkowski play football ever again. 
Both Devin and Jason McCourty began discussing retirement shortly before this year’s Super Bowl, but it was tough to get a real read on it. They appeared to be somewhat joking, but Devin alluded to the fact that there is nothing he would want to accomplish more than winning a title with his brother. Now that it has happened, could they both be ready to hang up their jerseys? I think whatever happens, they are going to make a decision together. They will either both be back, or both will retire.
During last year’s offseason, many thought it was essential that the Patriots re-signed left tackle Nate Solder. He ended up signing a big contract with the New York Giants, which made the Patriots take a lineman in the first round in Isaiah Wynn. Unfortunately, he went down in the preseason for the entire year and the Patriots were faced with a left tackle problem. Luckily, Trent Brown could not have worked out better this season. The Patriots acquired him from the San Francisco 49ers and, to the surprise of many, he started all 16 games and was excellent. Despite one hiccup performance in a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Brown was stout all year long. On top of all that, he was even more impressive in the playoffs which will now award him a pretty big contract. The question at hand is, will it be here or elsewhere? If I were the 42-year-old Tom Brady returning for yet another season, I absolutely would want the six-foot-eight-inch left tackle no matter how much money he costs. Belichick is known for getting the most out of guys and then letting them leave rather than paying them big bucks, but this is a rare case for which I think the coach will make an exception.