66°

Beacon Update

Men’s Basketball: The University of Massachusetts Boston men’s basketball team’s season came to an end last week in the Little East Conference Tournament. The Beacons lost in the quarterfinals to Western Connecticut State University, 9777. It was a tough loss, but it sure was an exciting year for the Beacons in which they saw a lot of success. They finished the season with an overall record of 1312, and with a conference record of 88. A winning season is absolutely a step in the right direction, and this loss will make them even hungrier to come back better than ever next year.
Women’s Basketball: The UMass Boston women’s basketball team’s season also came to an end in the Little East Conference Tournament. Rhode Island College beat them 6644 in the quarterfinals. It was a tough opponent, as the Beacons had previously lost to Rhode Island College just a few days before in their final game of the regular season. Regardless, it was a great year for the Beacons in which they went 179 with a conference record of 106. It is not easy to finish eight games over .500, yet the Beacons were able to pull it off. The Beacons will work hard this offseason and will be poised to come back even better next season.
Men’s Hockey: The UMass Boston men’s hockey team is still going strong and is the number one seed in the Little East Conference Tournament. They earned that number one seed by having an overall record of 1961 and a conference record of 1431. In the first round of the LEC, they shut out the University of Southern Maine, 40. They will have a pretty tough task in the semifinals, in which they will be hosting Hobart College. Having home ice will definitely be an advantage for the Beacons, and hopefully they can keep their remarkable season alive with a win.
Women’s Hockey: The UMass Boston women’s hockey team pulled off an incredible win against the two-seeded Suffolk University Rams last week, with a score of 2–1. The Beacons finished the regular season with an overall record of 10142, and a conference record of 592 which earned them the seven seed. Following the big win at Suffolk, the Beacons will now travel to Norwich University for a semifinals match-up. A win would earn UMass Boston a spot in the Little East Tournament championship, which would be an unbelievable accomplishment for the Beacons. Let’s hope they can keep this up!