57°

Patriots defeat Chiefs; Head to their Fourth Super Bowl in Five Years

New England Patriots at Washington Redskins 08/28/09

The New England Patriots went on the road to Arrowhead Stadium and took down the Kansas City Chiefs, which has now put them in position to win their sixth Super Bowl ring. It’s truly remarkable what this franchise has accomplished in the Brady-Belichick era, and they are not done yet. Before we look ahead and prepare for another championship, let’s take a look at just how the Patriots pulled off another improbable victory. 
In the first half, the Patriots executed their game plan about as good as they could have asked for, despite one big turnover by Tom Brady. Their opening drive took nine minutes, consisting of both runs and passes. They took an early 70 lead, and had a golden opportunity to make it a two-score game, but that was when Brady threw a rare interception in the end zone. Thankfully, the Patriots were able to drive the field before the end of the half and complete a 29-yard touchdown pass to Philip Dorsett which gave them a 140 advantage.  
The Chiefs finally showed up in the second half, scoring a touchdown on their very first drive. The Patriots responded with a field goal, and went to the fourth quarter with a relatively low scoring game of 177. The Chiefs opened with a touchdown, and then got the ball back due to another Brady interception, this time off of Julian Edelman’s hands. The Chiefs capitalized with another touchdown and took their first lead of the game, 2117. 
As soon as the Patriots trailed, vintage Brady made an appearance. He drove the field with ease and regained the lead thanks to a Sony Michel rushing touchdown. The Chiefs were not done, as they marched down the field and scored a touchdown with 2:03 left in the game and the score 2824 in their favor. The Patriots made it into Chiefs territory, but had quite a scare when the ball went off of Rob Gronkowski’s hands and was intercepted yet again. However, Dee Ford of the Chiefs lined up offsides, giving the Patriots the ball back for third down and five yards to go. Brady trusted Gronkowski, as he completed a 25-yard pass all the way down to the five-yard line. Rex Burkhead ran the ball in for what looked like the game-winning touchdown with 39 seconds left and the score 3128. Patrick Mahomes was not discouraged, as he completed two over-20 yard plays to put the Chiefs into field-goal range. Harrison Butker drilled a 39-yarder, sending this game to overtime.
The Patriots won the coin toss, and the rest is history. Brady displayed his excellence and once again showed all of us his clutch genecompleting three passes on third down and long. The first two were to Edelman, and the last was to Gronkowski which put them inside the 15. Burkhead was handed the ball the next three plays, eventually finding the end zone and handing the Patriots a 3731 win in thrilling fashion. 
The Patriots will take on the Los Angeles Rams in the Super Bowl on Feb. 3 in Atlanta. Brady and Belichick won their first Super Bowl together 18 years prior to that exact date, also against the Rams. It will be interesting to see if history can repeat itself.