63°

Beacon Update

UMass Boston Sports Logo.

With each of the respective UMass Boston spring sports teams still waiting for their seasons to begin, let’s use this opportunity to reach the sports fans at our university. The spring season may be drawing closer with every day, but there are some hardcore sports fans that just cannot wait any longer. So, let’s take a look at some of the professional sports that are going on right now that can help you get your sports fill until the Beacons are back playing this spring.
NBA
The NBA season is currently in full swing, as the All-Star Game is just about a week away. If you are a Boston Celtics fan, I would first like to say that I apologize. The Celtics are currently in 10th place in the Eastern Conference despite having two all-stars in their starting lineup in Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. A team to watch out for this season would be the Utah Jazz, led by star point guard Donavan Mitchell. After a convincing win against the defending champions, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Jazz look to be a team that can contend for a championship.
NHL
Like the NBA, the NHL is in full swing, as well nearing the halfway point of their abbreviated 56-game schedule. If you are a Bruins fan, you should be a happy camper compared to Celtics fans. The B’s currently sit in first place in the Eastern Division. With the divisions realigned due to restrictions forced onto the NHL by the COVID-19 virus, there will be no NHL All-Star Game this season, meaning fans will be getting a daily dose of playoff-atmosphere hockey, as points are at a premium with the shortened season.
PGA Tour
If you’re not into team sports, the PGA tour has you covered. The PGA tour continues to have weekly tournaments: This week features the WGC-Mexico, where Matthew Fitzpatrick and Webb Simpson currently hold a one stroke lead with four golfers tied at -5, including Brooks Koepka. If we take a look at the FedEx Cup standings, Patrick Cantlay currently sits in first, with one win so far this year. 
NCAA
Despite UMass Boston having a slight delay on spring sports, there are still some college sports that we can tune in to. NCAA Division I hockey is back in action, as they are about ten games into their season. However, we are also coming up on March Madness for NCAA basketball, which is one of the most electric sports tournaments in the United States. No doubt college basketball fans will be glued to their TV screens in the near future.
NFL
Even though the season has been over for a few weeks now, the NFL seems to never have a dull moment. It seems like quarterbacks this offseason are playing musical chairs with all the trades that have been going on, like Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford, and Carson Wentz being shipped to Indianapolis. Even after all that, the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes continues, and there is even some buzz that Russell Wilson could be moved. It’s safe to say that fans of the NFL shouldn’t be upset with the amount of action they’ve seen in the first few weeks of the offseason.
With no official announcement on the UMass Boston spring sports schedule, it will be tough to gauge when exactly the season will begin. However, we do know it should be beginning sometime soon. But for now, sports fans still have a lot to look forward to with everything that is going on in the sports world right now.