54°

Biden leads in Super Tuesday results

March 5, 2020—From 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. voting polls were open all across the United States. March 3, 2020 was this political cycle’s Super Tuesday, where 14 states voted in the presidential primaries.
The race has been heating up for the Democrats with Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar and former Mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Pete Buttigieg dropping out right before Super Tuesday voting and, after results coming in, Elizabeth Warren and Mike Bloomberg both suspending their campaigns. Klobuchar and Buttigieg both endorsed Joe Biden a couple days before the polls were open. Many people believe that’s what gave Biden the upper hand.
So, finalists for the upcoming Democratic convention are down to Vermont senator Bernie Sanders and former Vice President Joe Biden. The convention will take place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from Monday, July 13, 2020 to Thursday, July 16, 2020. As of March 3, 2020, in an article from WGBH, it said, “Sanders has the most delegates so far with 60, after winning the New Hampshire primary and Nevada caucus earlier this month, while Biden is close behind with 54 delegates.”
While Warren and Bloomberg were still in the race both haven’t endorsed anyone else—which would be game changers depending who they each endorse. There’s speculation Warren will endorse Sanders as they’re the progressives in this race but in a New York Times article by journalist Katie Glueck, it was reported that, “Senator Elizabeth Warren’s departure from the presidential race on Thursday instantly made her endorsement one of the most coveted in the Democratic Party. She said she would not back anyone right away, but both Senator Bernie Sanders and former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. want her blessing as she and her supporters assess their options.”
Depending on who she picks will swing her supporters to that person, giving them the upper hand. The voters choosing progressive candidates were split between her and Sanders so if she endorses him her voters will go towards him and his campaign.
Results for Massachusetts had Biden winning by a 6.95 point margin against Sanders. For Boston itself, located in Suffolk County, Bernie Sanders won by a .53 point margin. WGBH reported, “Below are live, county-by-county results of the Massachusetts Democratic and Republican primary elections from the Associated Press,”:
CANDIDATE VOTES PCT.
Biden: 470,294, 33.65 percent
Sanders: 373,173, 26.70 percent
Warren: 299,733, 21.45 percent
Bloomberg: 164,689, 11.78 percent
In the Republican primaries, incumbent Donald Trump won by a large margin—78.35 points. His victory was shown via tweet stating “THANK YOU MASSACHUSETTS #KAG2020” over a picture of him with two thumbs up in front of a flag with the text “PRESIDENT TRUMP WINS MASSACHUSETTS REPUBLICAN PRIMARY” on the picture. He did this with every state he won against former governor of Massachusetts, Bill Weld. The catch is though, Trump and his campaign team got rid of Republican primaries in seven states, only one of which, Virginia, was in the Super Tuesday voting sequence. For the Republican Massachusetts primaries WGBH reported, “Below are live, county-by-county results of the Massachusetts Democratic and Republican primary elections from the Associated Press.”:
CANDIDATE VOTES PCT.
Trump: 236,692, 87.68 percent
Bill Weld: 25,182, 9.33 percent
https://www.wgbh.org/news/politics/2020/03/03/live-results-of-the-massachusetts-primary-race