UMass Boston's independent, student-run newspaper

The Mass Media

The Mass Media

The Mass Media

How to get help on campus for domestic violence

Sadly, domestic abuse is something that thousands of people go through a year, and students at UMass Boston are no exception. Recently, one of my family members was a victim of domestic violence. Fortunately, she was okay, and the police were able to get the man who hurt her. It did make me think about what UMass Boston has to offer for people who are going through domestic violence and need help. Here are a few places you can go to on campus or get in contact with to get help with domestic violence. 

First is a unit UMass Boston has called the Domestic Violence Unit. There is a whole section about who you can call if you are in trouble. The first number listed is 911. If you are experiencing an emergency and you need help right away, 911 is the best number to call. There are also two numbers to get in contact with the police department at UMass Boston. The non-emergency number for UMass Boston Police is 617-287-1212, and the emergency number is 617-287-7799, or 911 from any campus phone. If you have information about someone who is in an unhealthy relationship and want to leave a tip, there is a tip line at 617-287-5555. If you see something, say something. 

If you want to come into a place on campus to get help, there are a few places you can go. If you want to file a police report against someone, you can always go to the UMass Boston Police Department. If you do not feel like going alone and you want help from a staff member, get in touch with one you trust and ask them for help. The University Health Services on campus can also be a huge help for students who are victims of domestic abuse. The counseling center on campus will take you in if you are under severe emotional distress. They have trained counselors to help you deal with what you are going through.

If you are not on campus and want to get help for domestic abuse, here are a few resources that are located in Boston. The phone number for the National Domestic Violence Hotline is 800-799-7233, which is listed on the Mass.Gov website on domestic abuse. If you want to talk to someone more locally, a phone number to call is 877-785-7233, and this is the statewide domestic violence hotline for Massachusetts. There are about nine transitional living programs in the greater Boston area, and the list can be found on the mass.gov website. A transitional living program helps domestic abuse survivors go from living with their abusive family member(s). They take people in with their kids and help them back on their feet. 

If you are suffering from domestic abuse, do not suffer in silence. No one deserves to be treated that way, and no one should treat someone that way. You are not worthless, you are a smart, wonderful person who deserves the same respect as anyone else. Do not be embarrassed or ashamed about being in this situation because it can happen to anyone. If you have a friend or family member going through domestic abuse, or are recovering from domestic abuse, be there for them and help them get back on their feet.