33°

What COVID-19 taught us

Disease ridden, the earth shudders at the global pandemic ravaging it. COVID-19 continues to ravage the nation and the globe, and many people are choosing to emphasize the horrible and mysterious nature of the virus. However, as with any global disaster, small weaknesses in our society are proving to be fatal to many nations. While the widespread ramifications of COVID-19 have devastated global economies, COVID-19 taught us lessons that will serve us well as we continue improving our ever-globalizing society. We have seen the deep negative ramifications of untethered globalization paired with inefficient nature of federal and global organizations governments in dealing with time sensitive issues. These lessons, if understood and implemented, will serve us well if we are to face a second wave of COVID-19.

Western journalists have touted the World Health Organization as a reliable source of information during these uncertain times. However, WHO has proven itself to be an unreliable international organization even in the midst of this pandemic. As the Nation reported in early April, “Despite early warnings from Taiwanese officials, the organization kept the island cut off from its global information networks. Now, it may be the rest of the world that’s paying the price. For nearly half a century, the People’s Republic of China has effectively blocked Taiwan from joining the WHO.” (1) The World Health Organization’s blatant disrespect of Taiwan during a pandemic is truly reprehensible and speaks volumes about the Chinese influence over the WHO and its activities. This kind of abuse of power is what we’ve come to expect from the morally corrupt Chinese Communist government. 

To ignore the deep rooted corruption in the Chinese government would do a great disservice to the residents of mainland China, as the citizens themselves resist the oppressive regime of the leader of the Communist Party Xi Jinping. However, China’s blatant manipulation of the WHO, including their own mismanagement of the COVID-19 pandemic, is not the only issue that must be addressed. Relying on bureaucrats in Washington D.C. to care for the health and well-being of over 320 million citizens is a fundamentally flawed idea of reality. Bureaucracy at its core, is a systemically inefficient and time-consuming system of government. During a pandemic, scarce resources are best distributed through a free market system that allows for the free flowing of goods and services with no regard for government regulation that slows down the development and allocation of critical goods. According to Forbes Magazine, “today’s global giants—LVMH, Ford and GE to name a few—are retooling their production lines to help make everything from hand sanitizers to respirators. On the medical front, there are more than three dozen COVID-19 vaccines under development…”(2) It is only through the government’s trust in the free market that critical goods can be allocated and manufactured accurately during a global health crisis. By removing the regulatory red tape, the government of the United States will do its part in reducing the number of casualties claimed by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Excluding the possibility of a second wave of COVID-19, eradicating this virus will not be easy or simple. Widespread social distancing policies, face masks, and eventual herd immunity, is the best we can currently hope for. Social distancing and the temporary pausing of most economic activity including nonessential international travel, will help us overcome this global pandemic as a human race. 

Critics of the “anti-lockdown” protests all around the United States, shine a spotlight on the unreasonable actions of anti-lockdown protests. However, these unreasonable protestors do not represent the feelings of the majority of the United States. By giving them attention, you are giving them what they crave, and increasing their legitimacy. In due time, these people will return to the holes they came from, and stop exposing themselves and others to COVID-19.

Each of us has a responsibility to care for the Earth and its inhabitants. By encouraging and abiding by social distancing, we can all do our part in slowing this virus in its tracks as the medical community continues combatting the virus and developing a potential vaccine. Until then, all we can do is wait.

Matthew Reiad, Opinions Editor