63°

Top 5 sports movies of all time

Top 5 sports movies of all time

Sports movies are unique because not only are they easy to connect if you grew up an athlete, they are relatable to an unbelievable extent. Whether you relate directly to the player, or the player’s relationship with a parent, sibling, friend, or other loved one, most people can generally feel some sort of connection. While sports are typically at the driving force of these films, the lessons are what truly makes these five movies the best of all time in my opinion. 
1. “Remember the Titans”
In my opinion, “Remember the Titans” is undoubtedly the best sports movie of all time. Since the very first time I saw it when I was a kid, I have never changed my mind about it being the best. It gives you a wide range of emotions; it is happy and funny at times, while it is also serious and sad at some points. Coach Boone, played by Denzel Washington, leads the segregated T.C. Williams Titans to an undefeated season and a Virginia state championship in 1971. He is able to bring the team and coaches together enough to win games, while simultaneously changing their lives for the better.
2. “The Sandlot”
An instant classic, I do not think I have ever heard someone say, “I don’t like “The Sandlot.” The movie is centered around a kid named Scotty Smalls, who just moved to town and is rather shy and considered somewhat of an outcast. He runs into eight kids his age who play baseball daily at the field, but Smalls does not even know how to throw a ball. Benny “the Jet” Rodriguez is one of those kids who truly cares about others, and sees Smalls as someone who is in need of help. Benny brings him to the group, and all nine of them go on to have the best summer of their lives.
3. “Coach Carter”
Perhaps the most underrated sports movie of all time, because I feel like a lot of people have not seen it, has to be “Coach Carter.” It stars Samuel L. Jackson and takes place in Richmond, California, at a high school in which Ken Carter was previously an All-American. The team is falling apart, as multiple players use drugs, do not show up to class, and just do not care about virtually anything. Ken Carter gets a call, and eventually accepts the job. He kicks some of the best players off the team, and puts the boys to work, unlike anything they have ever seen before. Coach Carter’s son, Damien, goes to a private school named Saint Francis, mainly because Ken did not want his son going down the wrong path at Richmond. Eventually, Ken Carter allows his son to transfer, and goes on to coach Richmond to an unforgettable season.
4. “Fever Pitch”
Personally, “Fever Pitch” is not only my favorite sports movie of all time, it is arguably my favorite overall movie ever as well. The reason it is number four on this list is because sports are not necessarily at the forefront of the movie, but they still play a key role. Ben, played by Jimmy Fallon, is a high school math teacher who absolutely adores the Red Sox. He has life long season tickets passed down from his Uncle, whom he had gone to every game with since he was seven years old. He meets a girl named Lindsey, played by Drew Barrymore, who he falls for and starts bringing her to games. He is nervous to tell her about his Red Sox obsession, but she takes it extremely well and goes along with it. However, eventually the Red Sox get in the way, and Ben is prepared to give up the Sox if it means he can have Lindsey.
5. “The Way Back”
A brand new movie, it definitely will take some time before “The Way Back” gets the credit and recognition that it deserves. Jack Cunningham, played by Ben Affleck, is an alcoholic and has used drugs from time to time. He lives by himself, and has about as difficult of a life as one could imagine. Much like Ken Carter, he receives a phone call from his former high school to be the new basketball coach. He also had his number retired as he was a two-time state player of the year. Upon accepting the job, he sees himself in Brandon, the best player on the team. While the players learn from him throughout the film, he learns even more about himself from them.