66°

Beacon Update

UMass Boston Sports Logo.

Once again, here we are with another week without sports due to COVID-19. Earlier in the semester, I took a look at some of the teams that would have started their season with the fall semester and did a recap of their seasons a year ago. Now, I am going to do the same thing, but with some teams that would have started their season closer to the winter. So without further ado, here is a look back at UMass Boston’s basketball and hockey teams.

Men’s Basketball

A year ago, the UMass Boston Men’s Basketball team had a very successful season. They finished 16–11, while also going 9–7 against teams in the Little East Conference. UMass Boston won their first game in the LEC tournament, but unfortunately, their season came to a halt when they ran into Western Connecticut State University. I expect they will be hungrier than ever to improve on their performance once sports return to UMass Boston.

Women’s Basketball

Last Fall, the UMass Boston Women’s Basketball had a tremendous season. They put up a 20–7 record while going 10–6 in the LEC. UMass Boston had a good start in the LEC tournament, beating UMass Dartmouth 69–50. Unfortunately, they lost 57–48 in the semifinals to Eastern Connecticut State University. Like the men’s team, I expect UMass Boston’s Women’s Basketball to return determined to build off of last season.

Men’s Hockey 

Last year, the UMass Boston Men’s Ice Hockey team had a decent season, going 14–11–1 on the season while also going 10–7–1 in the Little East Conference. UMass Boston did not fare too well in the LEC tournament, losing in the quarterfinal to New England College by a score of 4–1. This wasn’t the result UMass Boston was hoping for, and I expect them to improve upon this season once sports make a return.

Women’s Hockey

Last season, the UMass Boston Women’s Ice Hockey team had an okay season, going 12–11–3 on the season while putting up an 8–6–2 record in the LEC. Their season ended in thrilling fashion, but not in the way they would hope, losing in the LEC quarterfinal to the University of Southern Maine in a triple overtime game. The Beacon’s season ended a bit earlier than they would have hoped, but I have no doubt that they will come back better than ever once sports return to UMass Boston.

It has been a long journey without sports here at UMass Boston, and it doesn’t appear that sports will be making a return any time soon. Unless the Little East Conference decides to make a plan in which teams can practice and play in safe and sanitized environments without any fans, I don’t see sports making a return until at least next fall. Although that timeline seems daunting, it seems like it is also the most realistic option, as it looks like another wave of COVID-19 cases seems to be hitting the country.

With the Fall 2020 semester only a month from being officially over, it seems all of our fall sports will be pushed back an entire year. Therefore, it seems it would only be fair if Spring 2021 sports followed suit and started a year later as well. So here’s hoping for a Fall 2021 restart for all UMass Boston and Little East Conference sports.