66°

Beacon Update

Men’s Ice Hockey: After a fantastic season, the Beacons continue their run with a win in the New England Hockey Conference quarterfinals. However, this win did not come easily. The number four ranked Beacons found themselves trailing number five, New England College, midway through the second period. However, they managed to take a lead into the second intermission. Less than two minutes into the third period, New England College tied the score with a goal by Joe Osaka. The game looked destined for OT, but Nolan Redler had other plans. Redler scored the go-ahead goal with just over three minutes left, and then added the empty net goal to seal it. Redler’s heroics put the Beacons into the semifinals, where they will meet top-ranked Norwich. That game will be played next Saturday, Feb. 24, at Norwich, where the Beacons face a do-or-die situation.
Women’s Ice Hockey: The Women’s Hockey Team took home their quarterfinal victory with much greater ease than did the Men’s team. While the Beacons trailed 2-1 midway through the second period, they did tie the game before the second intermission and exploded with three goals in the third period. UMass Boston’s win over Salve Regina University sends them to the semifinals. The Beacons will face Castleton University in that round, at home in the Clark Athletic Center on Feb. 24. Game time is 3 p.m. and the team needs the campus’ support to get this victory.
Men’s Basketball: After struggling at certain points during the season, the UMass Boston Men’s Basketball team won its final four games, including a resounding 86-52 win at home against Western Connecticut State University. Now, third-ranked UMass Boston awaits their game against Rhode Island College on Tuesday, Feb. 20, at 7:30 p.m.
Women’s Basketball: After losing both games to them this season, the UMass Boston Women’s Basketball team couldn’t gain ground on UMass Dartmouth. The good news is that the Beacons are ranked right behind UMD, at the number two slot, in the Little East Conference. With a 12-2 record on the year, the Beacons are one of the conference’s best teams and expect a deep playoff run. They will have their first test in a quarterfinal matchup against seven-place ranked Plymouth State University. The game will be played at home this Tuesday, Feb 20, at 5:30 p.m.