63°

Intramural Sports Update

Imagine this: you are a college Freshman coming off of a riveting year of high-school athletics. You want to continue to play your favorite sports, but you also want to settle into college life without the stress or time commitment of playing college sports. What should you do? This is the story of many students on the UMass Boston campus, and intramural sports is the best place for them. Between its competitive sports, professional-grade student referees, and top-notch facilities, intramurals create a fun environment where students can thrive. 
The first snow of the season on Nov. 16 brought bitingly cold winds over the Marina Bay Sportsplex; but inside, the field of competition was heating up with our championship night of men’s soccer. The final game featured undefeated Dynamo taking on the UMBulls. The game ended in a fiery finish as UMBulls was crowned with a 2–1 victory over Dynamo. Miguel Alfonso and Juan Cardenas were responsible for the two goals for the UMBulls, with Alfonso’s goal coming in the twelfth minute of the first half, and Cardenas’ goal following shortly in the beginning of the second half. Abhinav Bountra scored in the seventeenth minute of the first half, completing Dynamo’s total tally for the game. The game was littered with desperate through balls, diving saves, and tear-stained eyes to make it the epic battle that it was. 
Later that night, the Clark gymnasium was transformed into a black-light zone, where strobe lights and smiling faces lit up the space. Music filled the gym to match the intensity of what was about to become UMB’s first-ever dodgeball tournament . . . black-light edition. There, students could decorate free T-shirts, stretch their throwing arms, and get their game faces on. The first game’s whistle sounded at 9:30 p.m. and games were played well into the night. 
On the night of Nov. 18, uncharted territory was conquered as the first ever Intramural Cricket tournament began. Fans lined the edges of the gymnasium, as each of the four teams battled it out in an intense show of skill and dexterity to become the UMass Boston intramural cricket champions. After three games, the “Patriots” won out over the “Red Sox”, with an impressive score of 182 runs, which the “Red Sox” failed to reach, with all their batters getting out at 136 runs. Although the competition was intense, the players did not once forget their sense of class, constantly smiling and cheering one another on throughout the games.