66°

How the Bruins Blew the First Round of the 2015 NHL Draft

After missing the playoffs for the first time in eight years, the Boston Bruins were able to accumulate the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft. The original plan for the Bruins was to package those three picks and send them to the Carolina Hurricanes in an attempt to draft Noah Hanifin with the fifth overall pick. Obviously, that did not fall through, so the Bruins were forced to draft three players; which by no means is a bad thing as long as you draft the right players. Now, three years later, did they draft the correct players, or were there better options?

Who did they draft?

Jakub Zboril

With the thirteenth pick in the 2015 entry draft, the Bruins selected defenseman, Jakub Zboril. In Zboril’s draft year, he recorded 13 goals and 20 assists, and was a plus two for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QMJHL. Overall, these are good numbers for a young defenseman, and it was not considered a bad pick at the time. 

Last season with the Providence Bruins, Zboril had four goals, 15 assists, and was a plus 12 in 68 games. Zboril has yet to really live up to his potential but has not necessarily been a bust either, as he is still putting up decent numbers as a defenseman. Zboril has yet to make his NHL debut however, but he may have that opportunity soon as he just recently earned his first call-up to the Bruins.

Jake DeBrusk

With the fourteenth pick in the 2015 entry draft, the Bruins selected left winger, Jake DeBrusk. He had a very good draft year as he put up 42 goals and 39 assists in 72 games with the Swift Current Broncos of the WHL.  

Perhaps the pick that had made the most sense at the time for the Bruins, DeBrusk is the only Bruins first round pick from 2015 to play in the NHL. In his rookie season with the Bruins, DeBrusk recorded 16 goals and 27 assists in 70 games. DeBrusk’s coming out party did not really happen until the playoffs last season where he had six goals and two assists in 12 games where he looked like a completely different animal. You should look for DeBrusk to be a real impact player for the Bruins going forward.

Zachary Senyshyn

With the fifteenth pick in the 2015 entry draft the, Bruins selected Zachary Senyshyn. This came as a surprise to many, as Senyshyn was projected to be a middle round draft pick. The Bruins must have saw something intriguing in the young power forward to want to take him that early. In his draft year, Senyshyn put up 26 goals and 19 assists in 66 games for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the OHL.

Senyshyn spent two more years in the OHL after his draft year where he really came on as a goal scorer as he recorded 45 goals in 2015–2016 and 42 goals in 2016–2017. However, he has yet to put it together in the AHL, as he was only able to put up 12 goals and 14 assists in his first full season with Providence. Unless Senyshyn proves to be another one of those late bloomers, it is possible that the Bruins will look back at this pick and say it was a mistake.

Who did the Bruins miss out on in this draft?

Matt Barzal

With the sixteenth pick in the draft, the NY Islanders selected Matt Barzal.  In his rookie season, Barzal put up 22 goals and 63 assists in 82 games.  The Bruins could have selected their next franchise centerman by selecting the reigning rookie of the year, Matt Barzal.

Kyle Connor

With the seventeenth pick in the draft, the Winnipeg Jets selected Kyle Connor. In Connor’s first full season with the Jets he was able to put up 31 goals and 26 assists and was a rookie of the year candidate.

Thomas Chabot

With the eighteenth pick in the draft, the Ottawa Senators selected Thomas Chabot. Chabot is beginning to look a lot like a franchise defenseman for the Senators. So far, in his second season, he has scored five goals and has 17 assists in just 18 games.

Brock Boeser

With the twenty-third pick in the draft, the Vancouver Canucks selected Brock Boeser. Boeser was a finalist for rookie of the year last year, putting up 29 goals and 26 assists in his first full season, and is a real threat when he stays healthy.

Travis Konecny

With the twenty-fourth pick in the draft, the Philadelphia Flyers selected Travis Konecny. Konecny is already in his third year with the Flyers and has become a solid centerman. Last season with the Flyers, Konecny put up 24 goals and 23 assists in 81 games.

Jonathan Hopkins, Sports Editor