51°

Unexpected Turns of Suspense: ‘Widows’ Review

In fast need of a crime thriller? Head off to the movie theater and watch “Widows” (2018). It features a killer cast with actors and actresses such as Liam Neeson, Viola Davis, Daniel Kaluuya, and Michelle Rodriguez, and you won’t be able to leave the edge of your seat. Very well executed, the subplots only add depth to the film and their addition help the audience further understand the characters’ struggles.

Though mainly centered around Viola Davis’ character, Veronica Rawlings, “Widows” starts out with her husband’s, Harry Rawlings, failed heist, where he and his gang of three other men steal two million dollars from Jamal Manning, a local Chicago politician. In the wake of the police chase blowing up their van, the women are left with the consequences of their husbands’ actions. Manning, played by Brian Tyree Henry, is the underdog in the local election race, going against Colin Farrell’s character, Jack Mulligan, a man with a long political background in the community. The theft tears a big hole in Manning’s plan for victory; but with his history in gangs and gang violence, he knows just where to turn—Harry Rawlings’ widow. Manning heads to the high-end house and threatens her to get him his money back by the end of the month—before the big debate.

Since Veronica is stuck between a rock and a hard place, she recruits the other three women though only two responded. When she finally gets the posse together, they organize the new heist with more and more characters coming in. The new characters throughout are a great addition to the story and subplots mentioned above. This movie would not be the same, or as good, without them. With Jatemme Manning, Jamal’s brother and henchman, always in the background causing more and more trouble, suspenseful is an understatement. The audience never knows what he’ll do next, and sometimes they didn’t want to find out. In saying this, if you don’t like violence, do not attend a showing of “Widows.” I noticed some people in the theater turned their heads away whenever Jatemme came on screen. If the cast didn’t already know not to mess with Jatemme then, they’d know after one visit. Jatemme is not the only instigator of violence; there are clear pictures of domestic violence and police brutality throughout the film. You can find Daniel Kaluuya in other films such as “Get Out” (2017), “Johnny English Reborn” (2011), and “Black Panther” (2018).

Do not bring a child with you in the theater while watching this film! Remember this is rated R for a reason! Along with lots of violence, there are very explicit sex scenes and strong suggestive moments that even a 10 year old would know what’s going on/what is going to happen. As with any crime thriller, this is not a happy-go-lucky film. I will not spoil it, but the ending is such a surprise; it’s worth all the slight anxiety. I usually don’t like movies like this but the description drew me in and I would definitely watch it again.