66°

Beacon Update: Dec. 13, 2011

Mens Hockey
Mens Hockey

Men’s Basketball

3-6 (0-2 LEAC)

The last stretch for the guys started off with a wild battle at Suffolk. Issac Jenkins scored a career high 39 points in the 100-98 overtime win. Two days later, they suffered a heartbreaking loss to Western Connecticut at home, 68-65. The next day, there was a tough test for the guys when they hosted No. 7 MIT at the Clark Center. The Engineers unfortunately were too much for the Beacons to handle, and they dispatched UMB, 90-47. Just two nights after that, the guys bounced back with a huge win over Lesley. Issac Jenkins scored 25 points, and Brian Clarke recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 17 rebounds in the contest. The guys now have a two week break before heading to New Orleans for the Big Easy Classic.

Women’s Basketball

2-6 (0-2 LEAC)

The ladies began this stretch with a phenomenal showing at Wheelock. The defense was stifling as they held Wheelock to only 17% shooting in the 73-19 win. The Beacons were hoping to carry that momentum over to their conference opener against Western Connecticut. Although they kept it close for most of the game, they suffered a 69-54 loss. Three nights later, the ladies suffered another loss, this time in non-conference action against Mt. Ida. Despite the slow start, there have been numerous bright spots for the Beacons. Freshman Kirsten Morrison and Tasha Bernandez lead the way with 14 and 12 points per game, respectively. Morrison also leads the ladies with nine rebounds per game. The ladies now have some well-deserved time off before a trip to New Jersey and New York to start the new year.

Men’s Hockey

4-5-2 (1-5-0 ECAC East)

The guys have been dominant out of conference this year, but within the ECAC East, they have struggled mightily. They lost a very close match at Southern Maine on Dec. 2, 4-3. After that the guys rebounded with an eight-goal explosion at University Of New England, which gave them their third win of the year, 8-3. Anthony Fitti and Corey Chakeen have led the guys this year, with a combined 12 goals through 11 games. The Beacons most recently pulled off a 2-0 shutout win over Wentworth on Dec. 8, which featured a great performance in goal from Kevin Bendel, who recorded his first shutout of 2011. The guys don’t play again until they host the Codfish Bowl Jan. 6.

Women’s Hockey

4-5-2 (3-4-1 ECAC East)

The ladies have had a pretty quiet stretch. They beat Castleton in a nail biter on Dec. 2, 2-1. The next day, they suffered a 4-1 loss at New England College. Dylan Caron has led the way this year for the ladies with four goals. Leah Hallet and Jamie Cudmore have combined for a 2.58 goals against average. The ladies have a very positive outlook about the remainder of the season. Freshman Emily Federspiel said, “We had a slow start in the beginning but we are pulling it together and I think we are going to come out flying next semester.” The Beacons now have some well-earned R&R before they host the Codfish Bowl right after New Year’s.

Calendar

Men’s Basketball

-12/29 vs. Eastern University (in New Orleans), 11 a.m. E.T.

-12/30 vs. Colorado College (in New Orleans), 9 p.m. E.T.

-1/7 @ RIC, 3 p.m.

-1/10 V. Plymouth State, 7:30 p.m.

Women’s Basketball

-12/13@ Westfield State, 7 p.m.

-1/3 @ Rutgers-Newark, 1 p.m.

-1/5 @ U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, 5:30 p.m.

-1/7 @ RIC, 1 p.m.

Men’s Hockey

-1/6 Tufts vs. Johnson & Wales (Codfish Bowl) 1 p.m.

-1/6 vs. Southern New Hampshire (Codfish Bowl), 4 p.m.

-1/7 Codfish Bowl consolation game and finals, teams TBA, 1 p.m., 4 p.m.

-1/13 V. St. Michael’s, 7 p.m.

Women’s Hockey

-1/2 vs. Wesleyan (Codfish Bowl), 1 p.m.

-1/2 Sacred Heart vs. Bowdoin (Codfish Bowl), 4 p.m.

-1/3 Codfish Bowl consolation game and finals, teams TBA, 1 p.m., 4 p.m.

-1/14 @ St. Anselm, 1 p.m.