63°

NCAA Championship – A Historic Run

Senior goalie Billy Faust achieved his fourth shutout of his career at the game between the Beacons and the Trinity College Bantams on March 12, securing a win for UMass Boston (4-0).

UMass Boston’s Men’s Ice Hockey is on the edge of history. The Beacons are moving full-steam-ahead into the Semi-Finals of the NCAA DIII Tournament. This is the furthest UMass Boston’s Hockey Program has ever gone and the team still has the chance to win bring home a National Title.
Head Coach Peter Belisle is enthralled with the recent performance of his championship contending side. After losing a group of talented seniors last season, UMass Boston retooled itself and rebounded to have another historic season, earning themselves a record of 23-4-3. When asked about the group, Head Coach Peter Belisle only had high praises for his team.
 “Well I think it’s a special group that we have. Our Leadership with Howie Daley and Derek Colucci and our seniors.” Said Belisle. We’ve talked about it before in the guys that have stepped up, Andrew Crawford, Zach Lindsay and Alex Demchuk. You know everybody has really found a role… I mean (even) our freshman d core.”
The veteran coach is right, the team is “special.” His side his a remarkably talented group of players. All year the team has rigorously prepared for the chances of a game like this, the NCAA National Semi-Final. In the two prior games of the tournament, the Beacons swept the floor with their opponents. In the first game, the Beacons faced up against NESCAC competitor, Trinity College. The Beacons toppled to Bantams 4 goals to nil.
After the victory, the Beacons faced up against the east coast favorite, Hobart College (21-5-2). During the game senior goalie, Billy Faust had another unbelievable performance, shutting out another opponent. The keeper had 15 saves in the first period, 11 saves in the second, and 16 saves in the final period of the game. On the other end of the ice, senior forward Matt Lemire broke through his 4-game cold-streak, netting in his 15th goal of the season. Following the lead of the senior, freshman forward, Mike Thomson netted his 2nd goal of the NCAA tournament. UMass managed to etch out Hobart 2 to 0, in a hard-fought victory.
In a postgame conference, Head Coach Belisle spoke to reporters about his synopsis of the game. The 10th year coach put an emphasis on the role of his defensive unit.
“I thought we were nervous in the first period, but we played much better in the second. I thought the second period was ours … and we did what we had to do in third cause they were coming obviously, pretty hard,” Belisle stated. “They were a really good hockey team and I was proud of our defense, the team defense. Keeping them to the outside, and our goalkeeper played obviously phenomenal. But I thought our team defense was very solid and I think it helped in the win.”
Despite the victory, the Beacons have zero intention of letting off the gas. Coach Belisle understands the importance of this next game and has his team yearning for more. The team can’t let their feet of the pedal.
“Are we satisfied no, are we happy yes. We want more, you know we tell the guys winnings like a drug, you want more you want to do it again,” said the 10th year coach. “I think this group is confident in themselves and we know we have some very tough opponents, it’s not gonna be easy. And nothing has been easy up until this point.”
While it hasn’t been a simple journey for UMass Boston, the road is coming closer to the end. Win, and the team has a single game left, or lose, and go home a game early. If the Beacons can stick to the coach’s plan, they should be positioned to make it into the National Championship Game.
UMass Boston is set to face off against St. Norbert College Friday, March 25th in Lake Placid New York in the Semi-Finals match.