66°

Beacons Update

Lacrosse
Under Head Coach Tyler Low, the Beacons are off to the best start in almost two decades. In the first six games the Beacons went 6-0, outscoring their opponents 77 to 52 goals. Senior Calvin Lee has had an exceptional start to the 2016 season, scoring 11 goals and 19 points in the first three games. Despite the early success, the Beacons have lost their past two games and are looking to rebuild their momentum moving into April.
The University of Massachusetts Boston has yet to face a Little East opponent, hosting the first conference match Saturday, April 2 against Keene State College. After the Keene State matchup, the Beacons play six LEC opponents back-to-back following the April 5 match up at New England College. During this stretch, UMass Boston will have to endure the most difficult part of their schedule. The Beacons are favored as a top team in the LEC, but if they can string together a few early wins, they should position themselves as a one or two seed come tournament time.
Baseball
UMass Boston Baseball is back to the snow, following a trip to Florida for an Invitational Tournament. As the Beacons sat 30 thousand feet in the air returning to Boston, Head Coach Brendan Eygabroat and his staff were stuck evaluating the abundance of information from the weekend tournament. While the Beacons performed well in Florida, earning themselves a 4-4 record, it wasn’t an ordinary trip for the Boston team. Following the graduation of an abundance of talented players, Eygabroat recruited in 18 new freshman. The RussMatt Central Florida Invitational provided the coaching staff with an opportunity to observe and scout their own players over the course of almost 10 full games. Eygabroat has to be somewhat pleased with what he saw. His young team managed to earn a .500 winning percentage and left-hander JT Morin looks like a gem of a prospect.
Softball
As the Beacons entered their 2016 campaign, Head Coach Natalia Ardagna had high expectations for what her squad could achieve. Following an eight game tournament, the NTC Spring Games, Ardagna had a glimpse of her team’s actual ability. During the eight games, UMass Boston was able win four. While the record is mediocre, the Beacons’ losses were extremely tight games. In two of UMass Boston’s losses, they were outscored by only a single run. Beyond that, the Boston side showed signs of improvement as the week progressed. In their final three games, the Beacons went 2-1 outscoring their opponents with 16 goals to 6 goals. The defeat greater than a two point deficit was against Western New England University in the fourth game of the year.
Tennis
The Men’s Tennis team is having a tough year under Head Coach Eric Berg. Following a slow start to the year, the Beacons are looking to fine tune things moving into the final stretch of games in April. After four straight losses, UMass Boston managed to earn a lopsided victory against Curry College at a tournament in South Carolina. The Beacons are now 1-5 during their entire season. Despite the slow start, the Boston side has shown signs of improvement during the month of March. In the four games, the Beacons only earned one victory. But in defeat, individual players showed signs of brilliance. Having said that, if the Beacons want to have a successful year, they need to start winning immediately. Saturday, March 26, marks the first game of their spring season. If they can win early, it may give them the confidence they need moving forward.