66°

UMass Boston Spring Ball Truly a Roaring Good Time

A group of friends enjoying dinner at the ball. Photo by Crista Chavez/Mass Media Contributor.

The University of Massachusetts Boston held its annual Spring Ball on April 29.
Each year, an exclusive Boston location hosts the ball. This year, it was the Venezia Waterfront Banquet Hall.
The theme of the ball was “A Roaring Good Time.” Those who attended were dressed in a way that mimicked the 1920s era. Although the ’20s iconic style was not mandatory, guests were required to attend in formal attire—ball gowns and body-con dresses for the ladies, and dress pants and suits for the men.
The event offered free shuttle bus rides from JFK/UMass station to the restaurant and back toward the end of night for those who did not have transportation.
The event served three-course meals, which were served buffet-style. Guests could get as much food as they liked. There were appetizers, entrées, and desserts.
At the dining hall, guests sat among friends around the dance floor, which was in the middle of the room facing the DJ. During dinner, they were offered pasta with two different types of marinara sauce, salad, and freshly cut turkey and steak with a side of gravy and cranberry sauce.
Once dinner was over, an array of delectable desserts were being served—such as delicate chocolate mouse and mango pudding, cannoli, and many other varieties of desserts. As guests were enjoying their sweets, guests of drinking age were given the opportunity to enjoy themselves with some alcoholic drinks from their minibar at the foyer.
There at the minibar, both alcoholic drinks and non-alcoholic drinks were being offered. Guests could order from water and soft drinks to beers, wines, and other alcoholic drinks. Water and soft drinks were free courtesy of the entrance offered; as for the alcoholic drinks, individuals paid per drink.
What separates this Spring Ball from those of past years was the boat ride offered at the ball three different times throughout the night. Attendees were given the option to take a boat ride for a half-hour. Although the weather wasn’t ideal, with some gusty wind and spring weather chills, this gave attendees an opportunity to step back and enjoy the serene view of Boston.
All throughout the night, the floor was open to those wanting to dance. The DJ played current Top 40 hits, ‘90s throwbacks, and many others. As the night approached the end, one happy man got on one knee and proposed on the dance floor to his girlfriend.
Congratulations to the happy couple.