66°

Jordan Colon – UMass Boston Open Studios

Jordan Colon - UMass Boston Open Studios

“Line, composition, texture, size, and color are the elements that are most important to me in my previous work and with this series. One of the major inspirations for this print series came from the MFA print exhibit, in particular the prints of Brice Marden and El Lissitzky. The series of Marden’s that I found particularly compelling was “Ten Days,” a series of etchings with aquatint in black and white, and color on cream and white paper. I like this series for the minimal aspect, the subtle progression, the size, and texture of the prints. The artist statement also made an impression on me because it said something along the lines of how the prints took shape and were developed as he worked. I’ve found it most effective to start working and develop it as you go; the most important thing is to be working. Therefore, when I started this series I had a few different ideas in my head but couldn’t chose the one I wanted to go with, so I started working towards all of them, and I came out with something completely different from what I intended originally. This series of prints has a few different meanings for me. I wanted to work with the idea that I call “modes of perception.” The way I work this out is by having a base image for all the prints in the series, in this case there are four. I then add something different, or nothing at all, to each of the prints. Depending on what I add, it gives that print a different mood or feeling, and the viewer will perceive it differently from the others in the series.”