66°

Super Happy Bowl

Playing the game and playing the post-game
KRT

Ah, as the clock ticked away and the beloved Tom Brady took a knee signaling the end of Super Bowl XXXIX, my heart returned to its normal place, in my chest. The Patriots are world champions. I just love saying it. As time ran out and Belichick got the Gatorade bath, I felt the elation that can only be caused by watching players who genuinely care about the people they play for win it all. Tedy Bruschi took a major pay cut so he could stay with us. At two million a year, he could have probably made twice that in free agency, but he didn’t. He stayed because New England has a team…not a T.O. In the NFL world, where making the most money cripples teams (see Indianapolis’s defense), the Patriots have made a dynasty out of the working class. A starting QB who was a sixth round pick, veteran journeyman all across the board, it doesn’t matter where they get help from, they play because the guy next to them plays and that’s something you just don’t see these days. For the first time in a long time I had respect for Terrell Owens, he went and played injured for the benefit of his team (without T.O. Philly would have been toast). That’s what every one of the Patriots does on a daily basis, not just the Super Bowl. Freddie Mitchell decided to test the working class mentality of my favorite player, Rodney Harrison. The result? Harrison, seven tackles, one sack, two interceptions for five yards (should have been three picks); the final pick was the one that sealed the deal for the Pats. Mitchell? Um, yeah, Rodney had more catches from Donovan McNabb then Freddie’s masterful one for a mind blowing eleven yards. So much for, “having something for Harrison.” Freddie did assist on a pick play that sprung a 40 yard gain, but cheating is in the stat books. Nothing feels better then seeing players who talk all kinds of shit before the game, choke harder then George in a Rold’s Gold factory. The self-proclaimed “people’s champion” (I think that’s the Rock but Freddie you can steal it, it’s okay) displayed to the world last night the major difference between himself and Rodney Harrison; he is Freddie Mitchell and Rodney is a Patriot. In a league dominated by the salary cap, and big money signings, it’s hard to put together a team that will consistently compete, but the Pats have done it and will continue to do so, under the Genius, Bill Belichick. And as I listened to him this morning on Howard Stern (that’s right, Belichick on Howard Stern) I could only laugh as he talked about how the team is already starting to prepare for next year. It really does feel good to see a team win the most coveted prize in sports, the way the Pats did it, with hard work and preparation. Not big name free agents and publicity stunts, but by just doing the job, really its great.

The victory at the Super Bowl completes a Boston sports year that will never be forgotten, the Sox and the Pats are World Champions. I never thought I’d say that, but there it is, both of them, in the same year. Now all we need is the Celtics to win the NBA championship…and, yes, they’re in first place…and yes, they’re still only .500. But look at it this way, sports fans; spring training is a mere month away and thank God, ’cause with no football to fill my life I might actually become a productive member of society, and who really wants that? Honestly.