53°

Support the Beacons this November!

Hunter Berry
A face-off between UMass Boston and UMass Dartmouth during their game on Oct. 28, 2022. Photo by Hunter Berry / Mass Media Staff

Finding things to do around campus can be tricky. Luckily, UMass Boston’s sports teams provide easy and close entertainment.   

Supporting the Beacons sports teams offers a way to meet up with friends after dinner during the week or for brunch during the weekend. At this time of the year, cold temperatures start to become the norm, and UMass Boston’s competing teams reflect this with the arrival of winter sports.   

Sports that were at the forefront during fall, such as tennis and soccer, are now finishing their season and bringing in titles; with the Women’s tennis team winning their first Little East Conference championship being a pure example of that. 

Now, as winter approaches and the days get shorter, the concluding season for fall sports makes space for women’s and men’s hockey and basketball. The four teams will be starting their season this month and will be running until mid-February.  

Students looking to support UMass Boston’s sports teams throughout the month of November can find the hockey teams playing on Fridays and Saturdays in the Clark ice rinkwhile the Basketball teams will take Clark’s gymnasium during the middle of the week on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  

To those new to campus, Clark Athletic Center is in front of the East Residence Halls. The hockey rink is located to the right of the entrance, while the gymnasium is located on the left side. Entry to all games is free.   

Most games are also streamed live on the Athletics website, under each game’s date, so students can enjoy them from the comfort of their homes if they’re unable to attend 

This week, on Friday, Nov. 4, the men’s hockey team will take on New England College at 7 p.m.. They will follow up their game against NEC on a back-to-back schedule, when they face Norwich University in a 4 p.m. matinee game on Saturday, Nov. 5 (1).  

Next Wednesday, on Nov. 9, the women’s basketball team will play against Mount Holyoke College at 5:30 p.m. in the gymnasium (2). 

Then, as the weekend approaches, the Women’s Hockey team will take the ice on Veterans Day and will face Salem State University on Friday, Nov. 11 at 6 p.m.. The women’s team will also play on consecutive days when they go up against the University of Southern Maine at 3 p.m. on Nov. 12 (3). 

As the second half of the month begins, along with the third week of November, the women’s basketball team returns to the court on TuesdayNov. 15, to play Colby-Sawyer College with a 5:30 p.m. tip off. 

Over the weekend, the men’s hockey team returns home to play against Elmira College at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18, and face Hobart College at 4 p.m. the following day.   

The week of Thanksgiving, the men’s basketball team will play against Colby-Sawyer College at 7 p.m..

Students staying on campus during the holiday weekend will have plenty of chances to celebrate supporting the Beacons since they will be playing games both Saturday and Sunday.   

First, on Saturday, Nov. 26, the women’s basketball team takes on Clark University at 11 a.m., and later that day, the women’s hockey team follows up by playing Colby College for their 15th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament with a 3:00 p.m. puck drop. The men’s basketball team closes off the day with a 7:30 p.m. night game against Lesley University. 

To close out the home games for the weekend—and the month for that matter—the women’s hockey team will return to the ice to play Bowdoin College, time for the game will be determined as the date approaches.  

For daily updates on games and scores, follow the Beacons’ athletics on Instagram @umassbeacons. For highlights of each game, as well as a recognition of game leaders and team statistics, check the Athletics Website at beaconsathletics.com. 

Valentina Valderrama Perez, Features Writer
Hunter Berry, Photographer