55°

Men’s lacrosse faces Florida men after clobbering Norwich Cadets

The mulleted maniacs are at it again! UMass Boston’s men’s lacrosse team traveled down to the Sunshine State for a slate of games over Spring Break, facing Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham and Lake Forest College. After coming off of a colossal 28–6 victory over the Norwich Cadets March 10, the hot Florida sun kept the Beacons from cooling down, and they stayed en fuego down south.
Prior to Spring Break, the Beacons lost two straight games to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Connecticut College by scores of 21–13 and 17–6, respectively (1). However, after two straight games of lackluster offense, they sprung out and stood strong against Norwich and clotheslined the Cadets 28–6. It was clobbering time for the Beacons at James Cotter Field, and they came out ripping twine from the get go. UMass Boston‘s Gavin Admirand would open up the scoring on the teams first possession, and he ended up burying four goals by the end of the night. At the conclusion of the first quarter, the Beacons got out to a commanding 6–1 lead (2).
The second and third quarter saw the Beacons bombard the Cadets offensively, scoring 17 goals in those two quarters alone to extend their lead to 23–2 after three quarters played. Charlie Chapman had a hat trick for the team, while Connor Smith matched Admirand’s game high of four goals. Greg Wolff scored two goals, while Nolan Beauregard, Caesar Hendricks and Carson Meczywor all added goals of their own (2). Matt Lucozzi was extremely vital on faceoffs too, going 18-for-19 in the game, and Trevor Koppy’s superb goaltending helped keep the Beacons’ lead at bay, as he stopped ten out of 12 shots he faced (2).
Overall, it was a massive win that catapulted the Beacons’ momentum before their trip to the state of spring break. Their first matchup came against FDU-Florham. Now, FDU may have a terrific basketball team, but lacrosse? Not so much. Men’s lacrosse decimated the Devils in Davenport 23–11, outscoring them in every quarter, including a 9–3 onslaught in the first. Admirand scored the opening goal just a minute into the game, while a 5–0 run helped the Beacons pull away with a six point advantage after one (3).
The blowout continued with the help of Admirand, Luke Murphy and Colin Ford. Ford had a multi-goal game, while Admirand put together five goals of his own, including two goals in 16 seconds to begin the second half for the Beacons, who were already up 13–6 at the break. Murphy contributed four goals to the win, while Patrick Carey scored with five seconds left in the third quarter to extend the lead to 19–9 after three (3).
Koppy once again stood strong in net, allowing nine goals in three quarters before being taken out, while Jason McNeany helped keep the Beacons’ strong in the face-off zone, going a perfect 16-for-16 (3). After it was all said and done, the Beacons went into their game against Lake Forest hoping to stay hot after pouring onto their previous two opponents.
In their match against the Foresters, men’s lacrosse broke away early with the help of an 8–0 outburst after holding just a 3–2 lead six minutes into the first quarter. Murphy and Liam Bowler opened up the scoring for the Beacons, and Murphy continued his offensive prowess with another goal that coincided with scores from Wolff and Ford to give UMass Boston a 14–4 lead at halftime (4).
Admirand and Connor Smith added to the totals in the third quarter, each recording a hat trick in the game. Both players now sit in the top five of the Little Eastern Conference leaderboard for goals scored. Koppy was once again a brick wall in net, allowing only six goals, and both Lucozzi and McNeany won 13 faceoffs each en route to the Beacons dominating in faceoffs, winning 29–of–40. They also nearly scored as many goals as they had faceoffs won with a 27, and the Foresters fell to the Beacons 27–9 in what was, again, an offensive showcase from men’s lacrosse (4).
After beginning the season 1–3 and looking lost on the field with disappointing defeats, men’s lacrosse’s recent scoring spree brought them to a 4–3 record. Now, all they hope for is that “springtime” in New England won’t cool off their hot streak, and the team can keep their pedal to the metal. The consistency in faceoffs and Koppy’s improved play over the past week can help the Beacons keep their winning ways afloat.
If they happen to keep the same intensity in the offensive zone and create good scoring opportunities, then it’s likely that the celebrations won’t be stopping anytime soon. The season looks bright for the Beacons, and they have a lot of joy to bring back from the Sunshine State. If they keep their play up, they won’t have to worry about the New England weather diminishing their light.
1. https://www.beaconsathletics.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule
2. https://www.beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/3/10/15-different-players-score-in-big-win-for-mens-lacrosse.aspx
3. https://www.beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/3/14/murphy-leads-charge-for-mens-lacrosse-in-spring-break-victory-against-fdu-florham.aspx
4. https://www.beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/3/16/mens-lacrosse-closes-florida-trip-with-big-win-over-lake-forest.aspx

Nick Collins, Sports Editor