48°

Women’s soccer drowns and conquers Coast Guard Academy for first win of season

Women’s soccer celebrates after a goal. Photo by Beacon Athletics.

It was a warm summer night, Sept. 5 at 7 p.m., as the boosters gave out free pizza, juice boxes and chips to all the fans coming into the game. It was a bit cloudy with the beautiful sunset over James Cotter Field, which was the spot where nearly two hundred devoted UMass Boston fans gathered for the women’s soccer team’s first home game against the United States Coast Guard Academy. The Beacons started the season at 0–0–1 with a tough 1–1 draw to open the season against Smith College, Friday, Sept. 1. Caleigh Sullivan tied the game for the Beacons with an excellent penalty kick, preventing a loss in the process. Entering their matchup against the Bears, the Beacons looked to bounce back, looking for a triumphant performance for their first game at home in front of their faithful fans. The Coast Guard Academy, which came here all the way from New London, Conn., opened up their season with an unvanquished 4–1 victory over the United States Merchant Marine Academy, and looked to build off their 1–0 record with another win against UMass Boston. 

After getting their legs warm and practicing their formations and kicks, the game began and the Beacons wasted no time, starting off strong with a goal by Kaylee Haynes to put them up 1–0 in the fourth minute of the game. What followed was a back-and-forth affair that provided some excellent defense by both teams, including some spectacular saves by Beacons’ goalie Julia Cote, who helped keep the game close. The Coast Guard Academy struck back with a goal of their own from Chase Merrick, who scored in minute 42, helping the Bears tie the game at one apiece. Both teams traded scoring chances and corner kicks until halftime with no score change and a one-all tie ensuing in the second half. 

The Beacons started the second half wasting no time with another huge bang; a goal by Amanda Regan in the 55th minute, who was assisted by Christina Lafauci on the play, helped give the Beacons the lead back 2–1. After only three minutes passed, the Beacons added more pressure, as Lafauci padded onto the lead with a goal of her own, making it 3–1. The onslaught continued with yet another goal by Andrea Rivera, with none other than Lafauci once again tallying another point total. Her second assist—and third point—of the night helped give the Beacons a commanding 4–1 lead. It was starting to look bleak for the Coast Guard Academy; they tried their hardest and didn’t give up in their fight to make a dazzling comeback. They scored two goals toward the very end of the game, one by Mia Forti and the other by Merrick, but it just wasn’t enough. 

After a tough defensive battle in the first half, the Beacons took the lead early on in the second half and didn’t hold back, withstanding The Coast Guard Academy’s comeback after they came oh-so close to tying the game at four late. The bystanders who attended the game roared with excitement and awe as the Beacons won by a final score of 4–3, clinching their first win of the season in a triumphant fashion.

With their first win in the books, women’s soccer looks to continue to ride high with the momentum they gained against the Bears, as Eastern Nazarene College is now on the cards for a matchup Wednesday, Sept. 13. Their game against the Lions will soon be followed by a Saturday matinee against Plymouth State University and their Panthers (1). UMass Boston will seek to continue climbing atop the standings as the season grows, and looks to conquer these cats in an effort to leap to the top of the Little East Conference.

1. https://beaconsathletics.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule