60°

Dorchester shooting leaves five injured, including two juveniles

Colin Tsuboi
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu speaks about Dorchester shooting. Photo by Colin Tsuboi / Mass Media Staff

Tragedy struck the core of the Dorchester community as five people were shot, including two juveniles. At approximately 8:38 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 18, 2023, ShotSpotter picked up potential gunfire between Ames Street and Stratton Street in Dorchester Center. According to Boston 25 News, a few minutes later, members from the Boston Police District B-2/B-3 received several 911 calls in which one of them stated that a juvenile was shot and wounded. Members from the B-2/B-3 District arrived on the scene shortly after the call was put out. Three adults and two juveniles aged 11 and 15 were shot. [1]

At a press conference held roughly two hours after the initial call, Commissioner of the Boston Police Department Michael Cox, City of Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, and Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden gave a brief summary of the situation. Commissioner Cox called out to the members of the community, saying the Boston Police and its investigation division need their help to solve crimes like this. Hayden also pleaded and urged members of the public that know any information regarding the shooters to provide that information to the Boston Police’s investigations unit.

At the end, Hayden added that when the community comes out and supports a common cause like this, it allows him and the office to prosecute these crimes to the fullest extent. Holding the closing remarks, while expressing her deepest condolences, Mayor Wu expressed, “I’m angry. I am upset as a mom.”

Mayor Wu provided her condolences and urged members of the public to provide information to the police so they can further investigate this crime. Boston 25 News reported that the 15-year-old remains in critical condition due to the extent of the injuries that she sustained from the initial incident. The 11-year-old has been released from the hospital. [1]

The mother of the children, Joanna Algarin, spoke to Boston 25 News in regard to her daughter, the 15-year-old victim, and explained to the people how she had a bright future ahead of her and how she stood ahead of her peers in academics. “Violence has got to stop. It’s always someone who doesn’t deserve it, This is senseless,” Algarin told Boston 25. [1]

The 11-year-old has reportedly made a recovery, but is dealing with trauma related to the shooting. The conditions of the other three victims have not been released at this time. Many residents of the area, including Candido Valencia, say that shooting incidents happen so frequently that they sometimes may lose track. “You get used to it; it happens all the time,” Valencia told NBC10 Boston. [2]

Many residents have become so used to the shooting that it is almost a normality now. The suspects in relation to the call have yet to be identified nor taken into custody. The city, in order to assist their investigation, has put out tip lines for those who wish to contribute their dues. To report any information regarding this case, residents are encouraged to call the Boston Police Department’s homicide unit at 617-343-4470. Additionally, if people wish to keep their identity hidden, they are allowed to do so and report a crime by calling 1-800-494-TIPS. [1,2]

This crime is still undergoing an active investigation at the time of publishing. Further information can be obtained through the Boston Police Department’s official channels of communication. 

Sources: 

1. Boston 25 News

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/i-dont-wish-this-anyone-mother-two-kids-shot-dorchester-denounces-violence/NH3YOTMDNRCLBOIBFJ6MWGCJUE/

2. NBC Boston

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/neighbor-describes-havoc-after-5-people-including-children-were-shot-in-dorchester/3139106/

Colin Tsuboi, Photographer