68°

Women’s track competes at New England DIII Championship to close season out

Collage of runners competing in previous seasons. Graphic from Beacons Athletics.

After placing third overall in the Little East Championship, according to Beacons Athletics, a select few members from UMass Boston Women’s Track and Field were chosen to participate in the New England DIII Championship [1]. Their strong performance earned them four representatives in the competition, according to TFRRS [2].

The first was Dorinda Okorji, who had three top three finishes in the LEC championship, including a first-place finish in the 55-meter dash. Jacqueline Earner would be joining her, who had a second-place finish in the LEC championship mile run, as well as Aryianna Garceau, who participated in four LEC championship events and placed first in the 55m hurdles. The fourth and last member was standout freshman Hialeah Foster, who placed second in the LEC championship high jump [1].

Okorji would be the sole Beacon representative in the 60-meter dash. In the preliminaries, she recorded a time of 7.91 seconds. Her performance in the finals would be a slight improvement, clocking in at 7.89 seconds, placing her in seventh. Earner would participate in the 1,000-meter dash, her only event of the competition. She would cross the finish line after three minutes and 3.75 seconds, good enough for sixth place [2].

Garceau would represent the Beacons in the 60m hurdles. She would finish her preliminary race with a time of 9.04 seconds. Her time noticeably improved in the finals race, where she would finish with a time of 8.90 seconds, placing her in fifth. This would be the highest placement of any Beacon in this competition [2].

Both Foster and Okorji participated in the high jump event. Foster reached the 1.56-meter mark in her attempt, placing her in 17th. Following her was Okorji, finishing not too far behind Foster, jumping 1.51 meters high, and placing 19th [2].

Foster would close out the competition for the Beacons by participating in the long jump event. She would jump for a distance of 5.03 meters. These results were good enough for 15th place, and that concluded the Beacons’ events for the competition. Garceau got the Beacons four points, while Earner earned three more, with Okorji snagging another two.

The Beacons’ final score for the competition would be a total of nine points. According to TFRRS, out of 27 schools, the Beacons placed 19th. They also shared 19th place with Wesleyan, who had nine points of their own. The school that came out on top was Massachusetts Institute of Technology, racking up a ridiculous 130.33 points, an anomalous 30 plus point difference from second place [3].

With the indoor track season coming to a conclusion, women’s track has a lot to celebrate. According to Beacons Athletics, the team had five All-LEC team selections, four of whom were invited to the New England DIII Championship [4]. Not to mention their success in the LEC championship, placing third overall in a competition against some tough schools [1].

The emergence of Foster as an up-and-coming star has been a huge positive for the Beacons this season. All-LEC Second team and two All-Rookie nods as a freshman is nothing short of spectacular. Generally speaking, the future for the Beacons’ track team is bright, especially since none of the aforementioned All-LEC team members are seniors [4].

Next season, women’s track will look to take even larger strides and improve even more, just as they did all throughout this past year. With how well they improved compared to years’ past, there’s more than enough hype to go around amongst the student body here at Columbia Point. With spring track coming sooner than later, it’s time for the runners to lock in, because with the direction they’re going, they don’t want to squander their success. That’ll likely not happen because needless to say, they’ll be up and at ’em come time for the spring season. Congratulations to women’s track and field for a season to be proud of; Beacons all around are looking forward to seeing you all on the field again.

Sources:

1. https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2024/2/17/womens-track-and-field-womens-track-takes-third-overall-at-little-east-championships.aspx
  2. https://www.tfrrs.org/results/83780/f/New_England_Division_III_Indoor_Track__Field_Championship?team_hnd=19214
  3. https://www.tfrrs.org/results/83780/New_England_Division_III_Indoor_Track__Field_Championship
  4. https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2024/2/20/womens-track-and-field-umass-boston-mens-and-womens-track-earn-select-all-conference-recognitions.aspx
Liam Crampton, Sports Writer