64°

Looking for budget friendly activities?

Josh Kotler
A visitor enters the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

UMass Boston students should take advantage of the school’s proximity to Boston, but adventures in the city come at a cost. As much as eating out to avoid dining hall food and impromptu shopping trips to South Bay Plaza sound tempting, the cost of each outing starts to add up. Finding budget-friendly activities can be difficult, but here are some exciting ways for students to explore the city!

If looking at beautiful art, watching a movie or going bowling is of interest, then luckily UMass Boston’s Student Activities Office offers discounts on many activities around the city, not to mention free admission to many Boston attractions to combat the boredom of staying on campus all the time.

The Office of Student Activities, located in room 3400 on the third floor of the Campus Center, offers ticket sales for many activities, sponsored by the Student Arts and Events Council. Students can purchase four discounted tickets per ID per month. Movie passes to any Regal, AMC, and Showcase theater are available to students for $8 per ticket. Tickets for zoos, such as the Franklin Park Zoo and Stone Zoo, can be bought for $8 per ticket as well.

Museum of Science tickets are as low as $5 per ticket for students. Tickets to the New England Aquarium were available for $8, though they are now sold out. Boston Bowl tickets are $10 for students and are open until midnight on most days. Students can purchase one ticket with the options of either two games of bowling and shoe rentals; one game of bowling, shoe rental, two slices of pizza and one soda; or one hour of pool, two slices of pizza and one soda.

Tickets to special events, such as sports games, concerts, plays or musicals may be available during the academic year. Some of these tickets include Broadway in Boston, Celtics and Red Sox games, Duck Tours, Six Flags, Water Country and the Boston Ballet. To stay up to date on when these special event tickets become available to purchase, visit UMBeInvolved or follow @umbsaec on Instagram.

Students can purchase tickets by visiting the office. Don’t forget to bring a valid UMass Boston Student ID, and keep in mind that they are available, but quantities may be limited. Check with the Office of Student Activities & Leadership for availability at 617-287-7950. Students can purchase tickets Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Purchases can be made in cash, card or Beacon Bucks.

Museums are a great way to spark curiosity and foster creativity. UMass Boston has partnerships with the Museum of Fine Arts, the Institute of Contemporary Art and the Harvard Art Museums. By showing a UMass Boston ID, admission into any of these museums is free.

The John F. Kennedy Library and Museum admissions are free with a university ID for general exhibits.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is often asked about, and though UMass Boston doesn’t have a partnership with them, by showing a valid college ID, students can get 15 percent off of their visit.

Justin Chen, a freshman at UMass Boston who recently visited the Museum of Fine Arts, defines his experience as “a great opportunity to learn about different cultures and histories.”

He goes on to say, “It is great that [UMass Boston] gives students an opportunity to explore and learn something new or even see something incredible.”
These can be entertaining ways for students to save money, but still explore the city and make memories with friends.

Josh Kotler, Photographer