66°

Tragic accident on I-93 kills two

Josh Kotler
Signs point travelers towards the North and South directions of the Interstate 93 highway in Dorchester. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Two ride-sharing passengers met with a fatal incident on the I-93 highway in Boston. The incident was reported as a multi-car crash that occurred on Saturday Oct. 8, at around 10 p.m., near the Zakim Bridge, as the passengers were travelling northbound on the highway.

The victims of the crash have been identified as Urashi Madani, 25, of North Andover, and Delanie Fekert, 25, of Floral Park, N. Y.. They were seated in the back of a 2007 Lexus RX400H SUV when the driver slowed down for undetermined reasons and a tow truck rear-ended the vehicle, causing the incident to take place just past exit 20. According to the State Police, another vehicle involved in the incident was a 2012 Honda Civic, which struck the tow truck from behind, at an angle. The passengers in the Honda did not sustain any injuries, and both passengers stayed on the scene for the investigation [1].

The driver of the Lexus SUV was a 53-year-old man from Revere who suffered serious injuries and was immediately transported to Massachusetts General Hospital for treatment. The tow truck driver was a woman and was a Salem native, and the Honda driver was identified as a woman from Manchester, N. H.. They were uninjured and stayed on the scene until the police arrived to conduct their investigations [1].

Both Urashi Madani and Delanie Fekert were students at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut. University spokesperson, John Morgan, commented on the tragic incident, confirming that both women did indeed attend the school and graduated in 2021, “after completing their Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees. This is a terrible loss for Delanie and Urashi’s families and friends,” Morgan said, “We send our deepest condolences to their families, friends and those in our community who knew them,” [2].

“No one will ever be another Roosh,” said Jillian Milch, best friend, and college roommate, of Madani, who Milch says was contacting her just moments before the accident took place on the same night, “I just feel kind of numb.” In an interview with NBC 10 Boston, Milch was nostalgic and reminisced about her journey in college with Madani, and said she considered her a sister more than a friend. “She would jump on our beds in college just to wake us up. She would show up with a margarita when you’re studying. Just to be that person. She always reminded us like how beautiful we are and she always was an uplifting person,” expressed Milch. “So, I’ll miss that about her for sure.” She also shared many photos and videos of Madani, some from as early as the time they met, several years ago at Quinnipiac University [3].

Several lanes on I-93 were closed due to the tragic event, in order to conduct the necessary investigations without disruptions, until shortly before 1:45 a.m. [1].

Due to the recent nature of the incident, multiple authorities, including the Massachusetts State Police, are actively investigating the cause of the accident and determining if foul play was involved. If so, there would be criminal charges warranted in the case. But as of now, no criminal charges have been filed, and further information will determine if any such charges will be brought into the matter. A Prayer service was held for Delanie Fekert on Monday morning, following the events [1].

Sources:

1. https://www.wcvb.com/article/deadly-crash-involving-rideshare-zakim-bridge-boston/41566895#
  2. https://www.ctinsider.com/news/article/Quinnipiac-Delanie-Fekert-Urashi-Madani-Boston-17498660.php
  3. https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/2-killed-in-crash-involving-tow-truck-and-ride-share-vehicle-on-i-93-in-boston-overnight/2857370/
Preetan Natesh, News Writer
Josh Kotler, Photographer