First week back filled with losses for athletics

Josh Kotler

UMass Boston’s Livia Trindade (#7) spikes against two opponents in the match against Eastern Nazarene College on Sep. 7, 2022. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Katrina Sanville, Editor-in-Chief

As the rest of the student body arrived on the campus for the first week of the semester, the sports teams competing this fall geared up for another week of games. While the men’s teams had a fairly restful week, the women’s teams were able to add a few games to their overall season statistics. For the recapped versions of the games last week, continue on.
Men’s Soccer:
The men’s soccer team’s game on Sept. 5 against Skidmore College presented the Beacons with their first loss of the season, with a final score of 3–1. While Skidmore College’s Thoroughbreds had a firm grasp on the lead throughout most of the game, UMass Boston’s own Diego Gisholt was able to earn the Beacons their sole goal of the game.
In the second half of the game, UMass Boston was awarded a penalty kick in the 70th minute after a foul in the box, which allowed Gisholt to score for the Beacons. In addition to the one and only goal, Gisholt was also responsible for all three of the second chances for UMass Boston, and nearly earned the Beacons another goal in the 86th minute of the second half.
However, UMass Boston was unable to bring up the score, and ended the game with a final score with a loss at 3–1. The next home game for the men’s soccer team will be on Sept. 24. All of their games are available to watch via livestreams on the Athletics website.
Women’s Soccer:
The women’s soccer team’s game on Sept. 6 marked the first game in league history that the team faced off against Middlebury College, where the Beacons lost 1–0. Although the team lost, they continued to put up an incredible game against Middlebury, and continued to showcase their perseverance and drive throughout the two halves.
However, the Beacons were unable to use that strength and were outshot by Middlebury College. Middlebury’s Panthers had an 18–0 record of shots on goal, compared to the Beacons’ 7–0.
There was still one bright beacon of hope for UMass Boston. Sophomore goalkeeper Isabella O’Connell made her first collegiate start in goal for the Beacons, as well as getting a career high of 11 saves on 13 shots on the net. The next home game for the women’s soccer team will be on Sept. 24. Like the men’s team, all of their games are available to watch via livestreams on the Athletics website.
Women’s Volleyball: 
The women’s volleyball game on Sept. 7—which was also the first home game of the season—against Eastern Nazarene College was another loss for the Beacons, ending in a final score of 3–0.
The non-conference match was the first match between Eastern Nazarene and UMass Boston since 2008, and both teams came with their A-Games to the match. At the first set, the two teams looked to be nearly tied, with Eastern Nazarene earning 25 points and UMass Boston earning 23 points. By the end of the second, Eastern Nazarene’s Lions had scored 25 points against UMass Boston’s 19. By the time the third set concluded, the Lions had beaten the Beacons with the final set’s score concluding 26 points to Eastern Nazarene and 24 to UMass Boston.
UMass Boston’s all-time record against Eastern Nazarene is now 2–3. The volleyball team’s next match will be on Sept. 13, at home in the Clark Athletic Center gym. Their following game on Sept. 16 will also be at home, for those who cannot make the Sept. 13 game. As with all UMass Boston games, live streams and live recaps are also available on the UMass Boston Athletics website.