Soccer games recapped: Teams start off strong


UMass Boston sports logo. Graphic by UMass Boston.

Katrina Sanville, Editor-in-Chief


The women’s soccer game at home against Smith College on Sept. 1 started off at a rather slow pace, with the first half ending at a quiet 0–0 tie. The score remained even throughout most of the second half, as both teams continued to put up an intense game.

As the minutes wound down for during the second half, with Smith up 1–0, the Beacons picked up the pace and were able to score a goal for UMass Boston. Lindsay Bouscaren, with an assist from Caileigh Sullivan, scored to equalize the points.

Beyond this goal, the team also had multiple close calls in the second half, including one in which Kaylee Haynes barely missed an upper corner shot. Despite the obstacle of the increased length of Monan Field, the Beacons remained on Smith College throughout the entire game, with both the defense and the offense challenging nearly every play by the visiting team.

In the end, the game wrapped up in a tie of 1–1, and the two teams look to be fierce upcoming competitors.

The Beacons also faced off against U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., on Sept. 2. UMass Boston opened the game with an incredibly strong start—21 minutes into the first half, Dani Anderson earned a goal for the Beacons by shooting the ball just inside the left goal post.

In the second half, Coast Guard was able to bypass UMass Boston and take home a win, but not without a fight.

Despite a loss and a tie, the women’s team has proven themselves to be an incredibly resilient team, and definitely one to keep an eye on throughout the course of the season. The next home game for them is on Sept. 10 against Caltech, where they will hopefully find better luck.


The men’s soccer game against Salve Regina University took place at Toppa Field on Sept. 1, with the Beacons tying the Seahawks 1–1.

The first half ended with no goals for neither the Beacons nor the Seahawks, but there were opportunities.  Goal attempts by both sophomore forward Annilson Depina Fernandes and junior forward Josh DeAlmeida were denied by the Seahawks goalkeeper, Nathan Reid.

After a missed free kick by sophomore defender Diego Gisholt and a trying first half, the Beacons got right to it in the second.

With his first collegiate goal, and his first goal as a Beacon, freshman forward Nick Braganca finally brought the beacons up 1–0, with a shot assisted by DeAlmeida. Ten minutes later, the Seahawks tied it with an almost 30 yard shot by their defender Liam Berlingieri.

The Seahawks haven’t scored against the Beacons in four games, but after successfully blocking the Beacons’ last two scoring opportunities in the remaining 24 minutes of play, it seems the Seahawks are ready for a comeback.

The men’s next game was against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Sept. 3. After a quiet 20 minutes in the first half, the Beacons scored twice within a span of ten minutes thanks to shots from DeAlmeida and freshman midfielder Ryan Lima. These two goals, including Lima’s first collegiate goal, allowed the Beacons to walk away from the game victories with a score of 2–1.

The next home game for the men’s team is Sept. 24 against Plymouth State University.

For those who plan on attending future home games for both the men’s and women’s teams, take note that all games have moved to Monan Field.  Directions can be found on the UMass Boston athletics website.