66°

Ways to Stay Healthy and Fit at UMB

%26%23160%3B%0A

Looking to lead a healthier lifestyle this semester? Look no further than right here on campus. There are plenty of programs, classes and facilities offered at the Beacon Fitness and Clark Athletic Centers, and there are smart food choices all around you. It’s up to you to take advantage of it all.

Bet you didn’t know UMass Boston offers Zumba classes?

The Beacon Fitness Center, located on the first floor of McCormack, is more than just a gym. Through their Group Fitness program you can take various classes such as yoga, Zumba, Tai Chi, and even belly dancing. More traditional classes like total body conditioning and a boot camp classes are also offered. Classes are Mon-Fri. For more information check out the spring 2012 group fitness schedule at www.umb.edu/athletics/fitness_recreation/beacon_fitness/.

Other locations to help you stay active:

Besides the Beacon Fitness Center, there are other places you can go for a workout. UMass Boston boasts a gymnasium, swimming pool, and ice-skating rink, all located in the Clark Athletic Center. Stop by the gymnasium during your break to shoot some hoops or participate in a volleyball or badminton game. Sign up for swimming lessons or swim some laps in the six-lane swimming pool. Swing by the ice rink for open skate or a game of pick-up hockey. Find out more information on scheduling and hours at www.umb.edu/athletics/fitness_recreation/.

Not a varsity athlete?

Just because you’re not a Beacon athlete doesn’t mean you can’t participate in organized sports on campus. Get a group of friends together and register your team for an intramural sport. Upcoming sports this spring include soccer, softball, flag football, frisbee, and wallyball. Participating in intramural spots is an enjoyable way to exorcize and stay active while having some fun with friends. Registration periods vary so make sure to check out www.umb.edu/athletics/intramural/ before it’s too late.

Healthy choices made easy:

Remember, just because the line for Burger King is shorter than the sandwich line doesn’t mean you’re making the right decision. There are plenty of meals besides fast food and pizza that taste great and fill you up without the extra calories. The sushi on campus is delicious, full of omega 3 essential fatty acids and is high in protein. Creating your own sandwich with healthy options like wheat bread, spinach wraps, turkey, or hummus are other great ways to eat healthy, and of course the salad bar is another smart option. When it comes to drinks, skip the soda and try an Odwalla juice, Honest Tea, or just plain water.

Remember doing little things throughout your day, exercising regularly, and eating right doesn’t go unnoticed by your body. Taking advantage of some of the things UMass Boston has to offer its students is an easy way to become more active, meet new people, and of course be a healthier you.

Christina Giannapoulos served as the arts editor for The Mass Media the following years: Spring 2012; Fall 2012