UMass President Bulger Subpoenaed in Brother “Whitey” Bulger’s Case

Natalia Cooper

The Associated Press reported Monday, December 2, that UMass President William Bulger received a subpoena from the House Government Reform Committee to appear in court this week. Bulger would be asked to testify before a congressional committee about his brother James “Whitey” Bulger, a well-known mobster and FBI informant. President Bulger has already refused to voluntarily honor the demand of the subpoena through statements his lawyer has made to that effect. The hearing was originally scheduled for Thursday, December 5, but December 6 was added when President Bulger claimed scheduling constraints would prevent him from appearing. If President Bulger actually refuses to appear, he risks imprisonment.

Princeton Review Wants Your Review Too

The Princeton Review is surveying students online to give them the opportunity to voice their opinions about UMass Boston and convey information to incoming students. The Princeton Review’s “Students Say” Profiles on Review.com will be written directly from this survey. The profiles are put onto the profiles website and read by potential students in search of a perfect college match. Visit survey.review.com until June 1, 2003 to convey information to potential students.

Budweiser Conservation Scholarship Program

Anheuser-Busch and the national Fish and Wildlife Foundation are seeking applicants for this year’s Budweiser Conservation Scholarship Program. The scholarship supports and promotes innovative research and/or study that responds to today’s most pressing conservation issues. Under the program, $10,000 scholarships will be awarded to deserving students to cover direct expenses related to their tuition, fees, books, room and board and other costs related to their studies. Students can access more information about these scholarships and applications for the program from http;//www.nfwf.org/programs/budscholarship.html. The deadline for submitting applications and supporting documentation is January 17, 2003.

Chancellor’s Holiday Party on December 19

The Chancellor will be holding a Holiday Party for university faculty and staff will be held on Thursday, December 19, from 2:30pm to 4pm, in the Wheatley Cafeteria. Chancellor Gora invites faculty and staff to join her for music, food, and cheer with co-workers and friends, and bring a gift of unwrapped hats, mittens, scarves, and socks to donate to Rosie’s Place, Pine Street Inn, Salvation Army and Globe Santa.

ECOS Department Seminar

The Environmental, Coastal, and Ocean Sciences Seminar Series presents Ames Colt of the University Rhode Island who will speak on the topic of “International Terrorism, Integrated Coastal Management, and Sustainable Development: Working in the Post-9/11 Era.” The event will take place in the Small Science Auditorium on the first floor of the Science Building from 2:30-3:45pm on Wednesday, December 11.