48°

Women’s basketball tips off with sour taste

Women’s basketball team during their 2022-2023 season. Photo sourced from Beacons Athletics.

Basketball season is here! UMass Boston tipped their season off Veterans Day weekend, where they competed in the Charlie Ryan Classic at Thomas College. [1]

The Beacons house a bitter taste following their collapse down the stretch last year—which cost them a spot in the Little East Conference playoffs. UMass Boston dropped five of their last six contests, including their final four, as noted by Beacons Athletics. [2]

All was on the line in the regular season finale against Keene State, but the Owls rid the Beacons of the last seed and sent them home for good.

A new year resurgence is on the table for the Beacons, but make no mistake of this tough task. The team will have to reset its identity amidst the loss of their star, Meg Dixon. Dixon, as a graduate student, finished among the top five in four statistical categories in the LEC last year. The Beacons are losing not only their best scorer, but they also will have to fill her team leading 33.7 minutes per game, the fourth most in the LEC according to littleeast.com. [3]

It won’t all be new, the Beacons are returning players who have produced. But alongside Dixon, their team leading assist-woman Keriann Farina also said farewell last season. Farina was fifth in assists at 3.5 in the LEC a year ago, as reported by littleeast.com. [3]

It’s time the torch be passed, and UMass Boston has its candidates. Look at Senior forward Alexa Potter; standing at six feet flat, she was second in the conference in blocks last year at 2.1 [3] and she trailed only Dixon in points on the team. At 21.3 minutes per game last year, Potter is next in line to eat Dixon’s minutes and take her big role at forward.

Or, possibly now-sophomore guard Tatiannah Fevry looks to see a minutes increase after her breakout performance off the bench in the Beacons’ final affair. She posted eight points on four out of four (4/4) shooting as her teammates struggled to get going on offense. [4]

Head Coach Heather Jacobs will get back five of her rotation players of last year. Roster turnover is almost inevitable in college year to year, but Jacobs has young pieces she has used before. It will be interesting to see not only who fills out the rotation, but who is called upon to lead this team. 

The Beacons’ losses lie up front. Plenty of familiarity, but the ball is in new hands. Usage percentages will certainly be vastly changed, which indicates a new team with new strengths and weaknesses.

To open the 2023–2024 season, the Beacons have ranked fifth in the LEC preseason coaches poll, which puts them inside the playoff picture, according to littleeast.com. [5] There have now been expectations set from the jump for the new look and rather-young roster. 

Who will the ball run through? What will the rotations look like? Coach Jacobs, entering her third year here, knows the uncertainty around her team. She’s seen it before; Beacons Athletics points out that she’s held the title of head coach at the collegiate level since 2009, including in NCAA Division I and II schools. [6] Eyes will be on her, watching how she fills the holes left by graduated players. 

It all begins, as previously mentioned, at the Charlie Ryan Classic where UMass Boston matches up with Colby College. Beacons Athletics reports that the Mules have owned previous head to heads with a 13–3 all-time record over the Beacons. [7] 

A hot start may be vital to the Beacons’ success this season. It’s unpredictable how a young roster will respond to anything, but a slow start could bury the Beacons in the standings early, only to rely on inexperience bouncing back.

Luckily, following their two-game tournament at Thomas College, a three-game home stretch awaits the team. Starting with Worcester Polytech Institute, be ready Nov. 16 to welcome the Beacons back home!

[1] 2023-24 Women’s Basketball Schedule – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)

[2] 2022-23 Women’s Basketball Schedule – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)

[3] 2022-2023 Women’s Basketball – Overall Statistics – Little East Conference

[4] Women’s Basketball vs Keene State College on 2/18/2023 – Box Score – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)

[5] 2023-24 Women’s Basketball Standings – Little East Conference

[6] Heather Jacobs – Head Women’s Basketball Coach – Women’s Basketball Coaches – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)

[7] Women’s Basketball History UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)