53°

Women’s hockey stays strong despite tough loss

Women’s hockey players celebrate after a goal during a previous home game. Photo provided by Beacons Athletics.

After a defensive and averting tie to Vermont State University Castleton Nov. 4, and standing at 1–1–2, UMass Boston traveled back home to Beaconville in front of over 100 loyal fans, facing the Norwich University Cadets Friday, Nov. 10. Norwich came into the game with a similar record to the Beacons at 1–2–0, according to Beacons Athletics, as both teams were looking for a strong win to gain some important early-season momentum. [1] 

The game started off shockingly hot for Norwich, with a quick power play goal just four short minutes into the match, and they managed to pile on two more goals in the first period. All goals were scored by Norwich’s Livia Brooks, who put on a clinic to open things up for the Cadets. The Beacons went into the first intermission in a deep hole, down 3–0, and needed every ounce of energy they could create to make a comeback going into the second. 

Unfortunately, things didn’t get better in the next period. UMass Boston had a few chances to score but just couldn’t find the back of the net. The Cadets dominated the shot chart and kept the puck away from the Beacons throughout the entirety of the second, tallying two more goals, both by Norwich’s Madison Anderson. The Beacons were getting throttled 5–0 with just twenty minutes left to play. 

UMass Boston entered the third period, looking for consolation and some momentum with the hopes of mounting an unlikely comeback. [2] The third period was all quiet on both sides until UMass Boston got a goal from Allie Reifler to avoid a shutout, but that’s all the game wrote, and as noted by Beacons Athletics, the team ended up losing in demoralizing fashion 5–1. [3]

However, the Beacons had little time to review their loss and work on their mistakes because the very next day, Nov. 11, the 0–5–0 New England College Pilgrims traveled to the little campus on Columbia Point with the goal of obtaining their first win of the season on their minds.

It was a hard-hitting and defensive first period, with the Beacons tallying six total shots compared to the Pilgrim’s five. But all shots from both teams refused to hit the back of the net and were blocked by the pair of excellent goaltenders on both ends of the rink. The period ended with a scoreless tie as both teams headed to their respective locker rooms to get ready for the next twenty minutes. 

In the second period, UMass Boston was able to capitalize on a power play with a goal by Emily Hansen off an assist from Emma Webster for a 1–0 lead with 10 minutes, putting the pressure on the Pilgrims. Both teams were equal in shots on the net with eight apiece. 

The third and final period saw both teams come alive with offensive outpourings. The Beacons recorded 13 shots in the third period, but the Pilgrims nearly doubled that total with 22 shots on goal. UMass Boston played extremely well on the defensive end, letting none of the array of shots cross the goal line or hit the back of the net. Toward the end of the game, the Pilgrims grew desperate and emptied their net to bring on an extra player, hoping to tie the match in the final seconds, but the Beacons were just too strong on defense and were able to hold keep their power-play goal in the second period as the game winner, taking the game in a close nail-biter, according to Beacons Athletics. [4] 

The Beacons came out of Veterans Day weekend with a 2–2–2 record while being 1–2–1 in conference play. UMass Boston’s next set of home games will be when they host William Smith College and Elmira College this coming Friday and Saturday. [1] Both games will contribute toward the Beacons’ New England Hockey Conference record, so be sure to support the team as they hope to move up in the standings and make their presence known in conference play. 

[1] https://beaconsathletics.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/schedule 

[2] https://beaconsathletics.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/stats/2023-24/norwich-university/boxscore/11500 

[3] https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/11/10/womens-ice-hockey-womens-ice-hockey-spoiled-by-norwich-cadets-in-5-1-loss.aspx 

[4] https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/11/11/womens-ice-hockey-womens-ice-hockey-sends-nec-pilgrims-packing-with-1-0-victory.aspx