60°

Men’s track and field jumps records at Harvard invitational

Mass Boston’s Track and field team during a meet. Photo courtesy of Beacon Athletics.

Men’s track took the field by storm as they competed at the Greater Boston Track Club Invitational at Harvard University in Cambridge. The Beacons earned top-ten finishes in four separate events. They were fast, steady and poured their hearts out. 

It all started with sophomore sprinter Melvin Whiltshire and first year Cekoi Smith, who paved the way for the Beacons in the 200-meter dash. Wiltshire put up a time of 24.72 seconds, followed by Smith, who crossed a smidge later at 25.45s. Wiltshire was the lone representative of the Beacons in the 400-meter dash, recording an impressive 56.35 seconds, good for 19th place, per milesplit. [1] 

As the event pushed further into the mid-distance events, the Beacons proved why they were some of the best sprinters out there. Junior Cody Whittun bagged the first top-ten finish for the day, coming in seventh in the 600-meter dash, setting a new personal record of 1:26.16. Hugo Dos Santos also dashed the 600m with a 1:41.27 finish, registering a new personal high. 

Rob Cannon owned the 1000-meter and one-mile run, as he finished 13th with a time of 2:50.79 in the former, and then followed up with breaking his one-mile personal record with a 4:51.78 finish. 

The team grouped up to participate in a 4×220 yard relay once their personal events concluded. The team was a mix of exceptional individuals, and they set a record of 1:47.43 for one of the first relays this season for the Beacons. This team was an accumulation of the hard work and stamina of Smith, first year Prabhdeep Bassan, first year Brady Poirier and junior Mocktar Seck.

Three of the four participants in the relay also took part in the Long Jump, admirably finishing in the top-10. Sophomore Isaiah Stressman led the Beacons as he secured fifth place with a jump of 5.66m. This was quickly followed by Bassan and first year Elmani Debarros with marks of 5.42m and 5.12m, and they nabbed seventh and ninth place overall, respectively. [1]

The Beacons showed that they were not just steadfast sprinters, but also talented jumpers. The Beacons were solely represented by Bassan and Stressman in the triple jump, and they did not disappoint, finishing back-to-back with fourth and fifth place. [1]

Sam Grant helped the Beacons close out their day with Shot Put. He recorded a throw of 10.29 meters, concluding UMass Boston’s day with an eighth-place rank. [1]

The Beacons indeed made their opponents sweat. They saw steady growth throughout, but their patience was rewarded as they brought home multiple wins. The road to first place is going to be filled with even more hurdles, but the Beacons are ready to run, jump and throw over it. They have seen improvement over time, and the incoming freshmen have only added to the team’s already jewel-studded crown. 

The Beacon’s don’t run for themselves, they run for UMass Boston, with their hearts on their sleeves. Even though track relies mostly on the shoulders of individual athletes, the Beacons’ unity is unmatched, which helps them perform exceptionally at relays, not to mention their individual game through advice, mentorship and sportsmanship. 

The Beacons intend to keep this winning spirit as they sprint further into the season, and they’re putting in drastic efforts to make 2024 one for the books. Now, only time will determine if they are going to pick up the pace or leave defeated. The Beacons are lined up to take to the field again this season, and look to do so with the confidence they’ve gained since making substantial adjustments. Their success falls on their ability to keep pushing, and with how they’ve done each week, there’s no doubt men’s track will be a thorn in their opponents’ shoe as the season makes its way to playoffs.

[1] UMass Boston Men’s Track and Field Competes at Greater Boston Track Club Invitational at Harvard University – UMass Boston (beaconsathletics.com)