48°

Takeaways from women’s lacrosse inaugural opener

Dong Woo Im
Midfielder Angelina Mazzone faces off against Eastern Connecticut State University on Feb. 28. Photo by Dong Woo Im / Mass Media Staff.

At the 4:23 mark of the first quarter, Mia Boyd made history. She scored what became her first of three goals on the night of Wednesday, Feb. 28—but more importantly, she scored the first goal in women’s lacrosse history for UMass Boston. 

In their debut against Eastern Connecticut State University, UMass Boston suffered a 20–7 loss, according to Beacons Athletics (1). But it’s the inaugural season for the program, led by Hannah Khin, the team’s first head coach. And while Khin told Beacon Athletics she wants to “make an impact right away on the field,” (1) it’s just the beginning for the Beacons.

Going into her 10th year coaching collegiate lacrosse, Khin has experience. She was given the 2019 SCIAC Coaching Staff of the Year award along with her crew at Occidental College (1). Coming all the way from California at Occidental, Khin is looking to build a culture here in Boston. 

“[I’m] looking for student-athletes that can’t imagine their college experience without lacrosse,” (1) said Khin. Valuing both sides of the student-athlete is vital in building what she wants for her Beacons. “Creating traditions” (1) is how Khin plans to pull her program to the top.

Immediate success cannot be expected, but it’s encouraging to see a plan along with set goals. “In five years I think we should be competing for Little East Conference championships,” Khin stated in her introductory presser. Nice to have a clear vision and expectation—and to look back on if things go wrong. 

Despite the loss, it’s been an already impressive, more so intriguing, start to the new program. As highlighted in an article published Feb. 21, the team is filled with dual-sport athletes. Boyd, their newest and first leading scorer, is a member of women’s hockey. She’s accompanied by six of her on-ice teammates; Liz Cramp, Leah Bosch, Margeaux Butters, Emily Hansen, Kristen Briggs and Adriana Crepaldi.

There are only five upperclassmen featured on the roster, with just two seniors. These athletes have stepped up to help lay the groundwork for this program along with Coach Khin.

As for the growing pains, there were plenty against Eastern Connecticut. In total, the Warriors outshot UMass Boston 40–9, and turned it over 10 times less than the brand-new Beacons. 

Jessie Pyrek-Bennett exploded for eight points on five goals and three assists, landing just one less shot on net than UMass Boston’s entire roster. Pyrek-Bennett and fellow senior Chloe Brown combined for nine goals, outscoring UMass Boston.

However, while the Warriors dominated up and down the field, the Beacons still managed to outplay East Conn in a large aspect of the game, goaltending. Laura Falandys was peppered all night long with little help, and made 14 saves on 34 shots on goal (1). That works out to a 0.411 save percentage, not striking, but impressive considering the context. 

Falandys’ night certainly looks good compared to her counterpart, Mackenzie Brown. The Warriors’ goalkeeper was terrible. Stopping a total of just two shots on the nine she faced. It’s her second start this year after a loss to Kean University in her first, says Eastern Connecticut Athletics (2). East Conn has three other options in goal they will have to look at; Brown will not be good enough to contend in the LEC. 

Under these circumstances, it wasn’t a half-bad performance from the Beacons. It’s all about growing from here, and Coach Khin knows it. It’s her job to develop these inexperienced players and create those traditions that she wants. But she’s not alone, as committed athletes and leaders are spread throughout this roster, and they are ready to, as Khin said, “be a part of something new.” (1)

1. https://beaconsathletics.com/sports/womens-lacrosse-coming-2024-/stats/2024/eastern-connecticut-state/boxscore/11623
  2. https://gowarriorathletics.com/sports/womens-lacrosse

Dong Woo Im, Photographer