Finish the school year off right with some events on campus

Olivia Reid

A group of students practice a play for fun on the front lawn of the campus on Wednesday, April 13, 2022. Photo by Olivia Reid / Mass Media Staff

Katrina Sanville, Arts Editor

As the end of the semester draws closer and closer, many students may become more inclined to seek out fun events to wrap up another year of tests, papers and commuting. While the city of Boston offers plenty of exciting opportunities, there’s also plenty to do on campus for those who want to stay on their home base. For students who live nearby, or want to trek back to campus for a bit of fun, check out a few events happening at UMass Boston in the last few weeks of April and into May.
The “Our Dorchester” art display will run on the Campus Center second floor terrace from April 19 until April 22. “Our Dorchester: A Civic Action Fellowship Program Photo Project” showcases art and spoken word works from UMass Boston students, centering around Dorchester’s past, present and future. While this event is not as high-energy as some other events the university may hold, any students or staff with a bit of time should definitely check it out.
April 19 kicks off Beacon Week on campus, which means there will be a variety of fun and free things on campus for students to take part in. On Tuesday, April 19, the Cookie Monstah food truck will be stopping at UMass Boston from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. with free cookies and ice cream sandwiches for members of the community on a first-come, first-serve basis! The Cookie Monstah is a Boston-based bake shop, with cookie flavors ranging from the traditional chocolate chip, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin, to more extreme flavors like s’mores, red velvet and brownie-cookie hybrids. Their ice cream sandwiches are massive, with many being the size of the average person’s hand, and feature flavors like the classic chocolate chip with vanilla ice cream and the Green Monstah sandwich with a double chocolate chip cookie and mint chocolate ice cream. The line for these sweet treats can get long, so be sure to line up early.
On April 20, the Kurdish Student Association and the Pakistani Student Association will co-host a Ramadan Iftar from 6:45 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the third floor Campus Center ballroom. This is the first Ramadan Iftar hosted by the two organizations, so it should be filled with festivities. The event will feature an Islamic lecture, a chance for students and staff to open their fasts, Maghrib prayer and dinner for all those in attendance.
In addition to the Ramadan Iftar on April 20, there will be Free Fun for Everyone programs on April 20 and 21 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Campus Center first floor terrace. Free Fun for Everyone events are small events that allow students to create small crafts in between classes for themselves or their loved ones. Past events have included making heart-shaped pillows for Valentine’s Day or personalized cards. Wednesday, April 20’s event is lucky bamboo, where students will be able to plant bamboo in a small pot. On Thursday, April 21, students will be able to create keychains or rings out of resin and various materials, like dyes, glitter and gold flakes. These events tend to be incredibly popular, so be sure to get there early and be prepared to wait.
For anyone looking for an event to take part in with their friends after class hours, the Student Arts and Events Council and Residence Life are working together to host a block party and roller disco on April 22. The block party will be from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and have food trucks and a rock wall for students to enjoy, and then from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. the ice rink in Clark Athletic Center will be converted into a roller skating rink, and students can come roller skate for free so long as they bring their UMass Boston ID. Even if students aren’t the best roller skaters, it is sure to be a fun, groovy time for all skaters at all levels!
Though Beacon Week wraps up on April 23, there are still events to take part in on campus. SAEC will be hosting two Paint Nights on April 27. The first paint night of the evening will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and the second paint night will be from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. so any students, regardless of their schedules, can try to make it. Paint Nights are a great creative outlet and stress reliever for all students, no matter their skill levels. Often these events focus on landscape paintings as well, so they are perfect for any and all levels of artist.
Lastly, UMass Boston’s annual Spring Ball will be held on April 29 at the Venezia Restaurant from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. The Spring Ball is a semi-formal event hosted by SAEC, similar to prom events that many students at UMass Boston may have missed out on due to COVID-19, and serves as a way to wrap up the school year in style. Tickets are $30 per student, and can be picked up on the third floor of Campus Center, room 3400. Food, transportation and festivities will be provided to all students attending this magical night, and tickets sell out fast, so be sure to buy tickets as soon as possible.
These are just a few of the events taking place on campus in the next few weeks, however, it is not an exhaustive list. The Campus Calendar details every single event, ranging from sporting events to study groups, so students looking to kill a bit of time on campus can always look there! Graduating members of the UMass Boston student body should also keep an eye out for Senior Night at the Dorchester Brewing Company on May 9 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Cap Decorating on the Campus Center Terrace on May 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. so they can finish off their years at UMass Boston strong!