How to stay active on campus outside of collegiate athletics

Josh Kotler

Spectators cheer at a volleyball match between UMass Boston and Maine Maritime Academy in the Clark Athletic Center on Sep. 10, 2022. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Katrina Sanville, Editor-in-Chief

College students are often forced to give up the sports they played in high school, stripping away a sense of identity and the gift of staying active. It’s not realistic for everyone to engage in their old sport at a collegiate level, but this does not mean students have to give up the sports they love. Whether you’re missing the thrill of the game, the friends that come with it, or you just want to stay active on campus, there’s a multitude of ways to get your body moving without being on a collegiate team.

Intramural sports are a great option for students who still want to compete on an established team with a concrete schedule. UMass Boston Recreation offers a variety of intramural sports ranging from badminton to basketball. Other offerings include volleyball, flag football, indoor cricket and outdoor soccer. These teams have set game schedules, and they keep track of who’s won and lost.

For students who prefer a more flexible schedule and casual teams, there are open time-slots at the Clark Athletics Center for basketball, volleyball and badminton. These time-slots are purely drop-in and can be utilized by anyone. The informal drop-in schedule, as well as information on intramural sports, can be found at the UMass Boston Recreation website.

Aside from intramural sports, there are also several club teams. Beacons Club Baseball is a club created specifically for students who love baseball and wish to continue playing at a sub-varsity level. They can be reached through their instagram, @umb_clubbaseball, or through the email listed on UMBeinvolved.

The UMass Boston Dance Company is a new club created this year by sophomore Sarah Jacobs. Jacobs danced extensively in high school and wanted to start a club where she could continue that passion and allow others to do the same. According to Jacobs, the dance team will be a club “with many of the same commitments and qualities as a real full-time sports team.”

The dance team will be meeting twice a week, potentially performing at sporting events, and holding their own student showcase. Auditions will be held in the next couple of weeks, and any inquiries can be sent to Jacobs, whose information is also listed on UMBeinvolved.

While Jacobs’ club is geared towards dancers with a background in jazz, lyrical, contemporary, hip hop or acro, there are several dance clubs at UMass Boston that specialize in other forms of dance. The WHISPER K-Pop Dance Crew is welcome to dancers of all levels and frequently performs on campus, as well as on their Youtube and TikTok channels. UMB Naach is an Indian dance platform open to anyone interested in learning the art of Bollywood dance. They perform at campus events and encourage students to forget their stresses and enjoy themselves. The Filipino club Hoy! Pinoy! also has an established dance team that celebrates Filipino culture. Each of these clubs offer the opportunity to find joy in the art of dance, while also getting exercise.

Team sports are an enriching part of campus activities, but staying active doesn’t always have to mean playing an established sport. For those who wish to forgo this form of exercise, the Beacon Fitness Center may be your new best friend. Like any gym, the school’s fitness center offers workout equipment and machines. Unlike any gym, it’s completely free for UMass Boston students. This amenity is included in our tuition, so it’s in every student’s best interest to utilize it while they can.

For those who prefer exercising alone, the fitness center offers a large selection of machines, weights and spaces to use. Several treadmills line an entire wall, while leg, ab and arm machines fill up the rest of the room. The fitness center also offers personal training with licensed instructors in one-on-one or group packages. This is a great option for those who want extra guidance and instruction in order to achieve personal fitness goals. Rates for personal trainers can be found on the UMass Boston Recreation website.

The fitness center also hosts weekly group classes. They are often taught by fellow Beacons and allow students to work out in a safe space together. The classes offered this fall are Barrelates Fusion, Open Mat Pilates, Pop Pilates Dance and Power Yoga. These classes are all free under tuition, and students can drop in to whichever ones they please. This is a great option for ex-athletes who want a simple way to keep up with their workouts, or for students who prefer exercising along with others. Group classes start Sept. 12, and the schedule can be found on the Recreation website.

Organized fitness isn’t everyone’s preference, but if you still want to stay active on campus, consider going for a run or walk on the Boston Harborwalk. The view of the harbor alone makes it worth it, and it’s a great way to get your body moving in a more manageable way. UMass Boston Recreation also hosts lawn games in front of Campus Center, such as spike ball and ladder ball. These games are an easy and fun way to move around, while meeting other students and spending time with friends.

Exercise is proven to reduce stress and ease anxiety, which is much needed during the difficult transition from high school to college—especially if you’ve had to give up the sport you love. So if you miss your old sport, or if you just need to sweat some stress out, consider the plethora of ways you can utilize what UMass Boston has to offer.