Graduate Student News 9/27/01

By J.P. Goodwin

The next meeting of the Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) will be on Thursday, September 27, at 4:00pm, in the Wheatley Student Lounge (4th floor). The GSA will elect officers for this academic year at that meeting. The GSA still has a few open seats. Any graduate student may attend the meeting and join the GSA. Chancellor Gora is expected to attend this meeting. Other business at that meeting will include a discussion on the most appropriate way for the GSA to contribute to the UMB disaster relief efforts the appointment of graduate students to the various Campus Committees (Faculty Council, Research Committee, Library Committee). Joining one of these committees is an excellent avenue to present the views of fellow graduate students to University faculty and administrators. If you are unable to attend the meeting and are interested in being a Campus Committee Representative, contact the GSA office at 7-7975…Reminder – the deadline for activating a Recognized Professional Association is October 1. Contact Dev in the GSA office (7-7975) if you have not already done so…It’s also not too early to start thinking about making an oral or poster presentation at the Third Annual UMass Boston Graduate Research Conference, scheduled for early April. Call 7-7975 and leave a message for Alice Carter if you have a question or comment.

GRADUATE COMPUTING LABS: Computing Services offers a special series of 2-hour workshops for graduate students. Descriptions of the workshops are on the Computing Services web site, www.cc.umb.edu. Sign-up sheets are posted outside Macintosh Lab D on the Upper Level of the Healey Library. The current schedule is: “Word for Thesis,” October 2, 3:00-5:00pm, Computing Services Conference Room, Science Building; “SPSS Part I,” October 3, 3:00-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Word Part I,” October 4, 10:00am-12:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Advanced Power Point,” October 4, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Web Page Design Part I,” October 9, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “”SPSS Part II,” October 10, 3:00-5:00pm, Computing Svcs., Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Word Part II,” October 11, 10:00am-12:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Advanced Power Point,” October 11, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Web Page Design Part II,” October 16, 3:00-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “SAS Part I,” October 17, 10:00am-12:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “SPSS Part II,” October 17, 3:00pm-5:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Postermaking with InDesign,” October 18, 10:00am-12:00pm, GRC, Healey 3rd floor; “Photoshop for the Web,” October 23, 3:30pm-5:30pm, Mac Lab A, Healey, UL; SAS Part II, October 24, 10:00am-12:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building; “Intro to S-Plus,” October 29, 10:00am-12:00pm, Computing Svcs. Conf. Rm., Science Building.

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY PROGRAM: In conjunction with Massachusetts Archaeology Week, UMass Boston presents two events on Thursday, October 4. “An Open House at the Andrew Fiske Memorial Center for Archaeological Research” from 11:00am-4:00pm in the McCormack Building, first floor, room 518. The recently endowed Andrew Fiske Memorial Center for Archaeological Research will be open to the public for tours, informational chats with archaeologists, and special opportunities to learn more about animal bone identification, conservation of the Big Dig artifacts and preperation of oil samples for archaeobotanical analysis. For questions regarding the Open House, call Leslie Hunt at (617) 287-6862.

The second event “The Elizabeth and Mary, a 17th Century Bostonian Ship Sunk in the St. Lawrence: The Story of Its Discovery” will take place on October 4 at 7:00pm in the Media Center at the Healey Library. This presentation, by archaeologists from the Musee Point-a-Calliere in Montreal, takes you to the heart of an exceptional adventure-the siege of Quebec in 1690 and he recent discovery of the ship Elizabeth and Mary. The wreck, with a remarkable array of naval, military and personal items, was found in the St. Lawrence River 300 years after the siege, a time when Frontenac delivered his famous retort to Phips’ envoy: No! I have no response to make to your General except from the mouths of my cannons. For questions about the Elizabeth and Mary lecture, call David at (617) 287-6835.

TALES FROM THE GRAD SCHOOL FRONT: Kathleen Carmichael, Ph.D., offers advice to graduate students on applying for grants. This week: “I’m fully funded by my university. Why should I apply for a grant?” – “Money to fund and finish your graduate degree is only the most obvious reason to apply for a research grant (although an important one!). The ability to make a strong case for project funding is a skill that has great value both within and outside of academe. Having grant credits on your resume or curriculum vitae demonstrates that you have initiative combined with ‘real-world know-how – and that you know how to present your research projects to their best advantage.

Additionally, grant recipients tend to receive yet more grants. If grant committees know that you have been granted research monies in the past, they will take that as an indication that you are a trustworthy worker who can be counted on for original or valuable research. A little time set aside to apply for grants while you are a student can pay remarkable dividends long after you have finished your degree.

Traveling research grants can also give you access to rare materials, expensive equipment, and the invaluable opportunity to meet and socialize with other experts in your field of study.” (Next week: “How do I even begin to find the rants appropriate to my field of study?”)

GERONTOLOGY PROGRAM: A belated congratulations to three UMass graduate students in Gerontology who were winners in the 2001 Massachusetts Gerontology Association student paper competition. David P. Brungo, first year Ph.D. student, received first prize for his paper “An Analysis of Financing Strategies for Accessing Assisted Living Services.” Antonia (Kathy) K. Coppin, third year Ph.D. student, runner-up for her paper, “Adult Day Care Programs in Developing Countries: Venezuala.” Dongsoo Lee, Ph.D. candidate, runner-up for his paper, “Who Purchases Long-Term Care Insurance: Factors in the Purchase of Private Long-Term Care Insurance.”

DISTINGUISHED SPEAKERS: Every year, the Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) invites a distinguished speaker to visit UMass Boston and address the campus community. This event is usually held in the spring, and attracts many students, staff and faculty members. If any graduate student has an idea for a speaker for this year, please contact the GSA office at (617) 287-7975.