An all new British invasion and all for a good cause

Michael Hogan

What do Thanksgiving and The Beatles have to do with each other? Well, here at UMass Boston, they have more in common than you think. The music of The Beatles and Tom Turkey are coming together to benefit a good cause. On Friday, November 17th at 3:00PM in the Campus Center Ballroom the UMB Department of Performing Arts will present Thanksgiving with the Beatles to benefit the Greater Boston Food Bank. To enter students will need a $3 donation or a donation of 2 cans of non perishable food.

What is Thanksgiving with the Beatles, you may ask? Well, it’s a concert that will feature Umass Boston music students performing, both solo and as groups, their own interpretations of Beatles songs. And another question you might ask, why the Beatles? On the 6th of July, 1957 a young John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time forming the songwriting team that would soon fuel the greatest band of all time, The Beatles. Now is your chance to celebrate the amazing music they were able to create and help feed the hungry at the same time. You know and love them, I know and love them, we all know and love them. So why not use this universal appeal to try and raise some money for a good cause. From “Please Please Me” to “Let It Be” the Beatles catalog includes some of the most well known songs of all time and your fellow students are going to put their own spin on these classic hits. So why not head to the Campus Center on the 17th where you can tap your feet and hum along to songs you surely know by heart. And best of all, you can help feed the hungry at the same time.

The Greater Boston Food Bank is the largest hunger relief organization in New England. It was established to help feed the nearly 517,000 hungry in Eastern Massachusetts. The lower class, working class, and middle class are all susceptible to hard times. And the Greater Boston Food Bank is there to help them out. You too can help by coming down to Thanksgiving with the Beatles and bringing your donation with you.

November 17th will surely prove to be a day of wonderful music, foot stomping fun, and it’s all for a worthy cause. Plus, there will be raffles for some great prizes. How can you beat that? You can’t.