UMB Student Named Ms. New Hampshire 2002

By J.P. Goodwin

Eliza Partington, a full-time student at UMass Boston, was recently selected as Ms. New Hampshire 2002. She will represent the Granite State as she advances to the 2002 Ms. American United States National Pageant on July 12-15 at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida. Partington will vie with delegates from across the United States for $20,000 in cash and prizes.

“It’s definitely quite an honor,” said the 23 year-old UMB senior. “Competing has given me the opportunity to learn and challenge myself. I thought I was accomplishing enough by focusing on work and school, but I also wanted to do something fun that I would remember for a long time.”

Partington, whose majoring in psychology, was a recipient of the Chancellor’s Scholarship for Academic Excellence, is in the UMB Honors Program, and was inducted into the Golden Key International Honour Society this spring. She also served as the Opinion Editor at The Mass Media, and currently works full-time in three bars in eastern Massachusetts; the Cambridgeport Salon, The Brewhouse Café and Grill, and the Press Box

The Cambridge, Massachusetts native – her father lives in Dalton, New Hampshire – credits a number of people at UMB with helping her achieve success. “Donna Neal [assistant director of Student Life] is a wonderful, wonderful person. She helped me on ideas on getting started and with my personal advancement.” Partington also thanked members of the UMB Honors Program, in particular Monica McAlpine. “She’s been an incredible help to me academically and personally.”

Partington explained that she got the idea of entering a beauty pageant – this is her first – from the movie “Miss Congeniality” with Sandra Bullock. This particular contest, Ms. American United States, is 15 years old and fitness-oriented, according to Partington.

“Eliza is a very bright young lady who has worked very hard academically and who has accepted this personal challenge. I hope she does very well,” stated Donna Neal.

“It’s been a lot more work than I thought,” Partington said about winning the New Hampshire contest. “I’m making public appearances and working with charities,” She’s helping to fight cancer with White Mountain Motorsports Park in North Woodstock, New Hampshire. She participated in their Opening Day festivities and in the Race Against Cancer on May 12. “I got to ride in a NASCAR stockcar,” she noted.

Partington is sponsored by HotSkins BodyWear of Venice, California. She reports that she still needs additional sponsorship and anyone interested in aiding her should call the Ms. American United States Pageant at (780) 460-4732.

“I think I have a good shot. Physically I feel prepared. Of course, I’ve never done anything like this before, but I have confidence. The fact that I’m not as feminine as some of the other contestants might actually help me, since the emphasis is on fitness,” declared Partington.