61°

Bruins Claw Back, Beat Sens

Bruins+Logo
Bruins Logo

There are some games in the NHL where you just know it’s your night. Dennis Seidenberg sent that message to the rest of the Bruins when he scored from center ice to break a 3-3 tie with 13 minutes remaining in last nights clash with the Senators. Not only did the B’s come back from two goals down in the second period, they also didn’t commit a penalty for the full 60 minutes. Tim Thomas and Craig Anderson started out solidly in goal but were struggling towards the end of the game. The game also marked Zdeno Chara’s first action since breaking his own record for the hardest slap shot ever recorded at Skills Night on Saturday, which was coincidentally in Ottawa.

Chara used that otherworldy shot for the first time in a game since he broke the record, and it found its way past Craig Anderson at 11:57 with Sergei Gonchar in the box for a hooking call. With the B’s holding a 1-0 lead, there were two very spirited bouts in quick succession. Shawn Thornton and Chris Neil went toe to toe in a matchup of savvy fighters that Thornton would win handily behind the support of the sellout Garden crowd. About a minute later, at 14:16, Adam Macquaid and Zenon Kanopka went at it in a bout with less technique but more brutality that finished in a draw with both men much lighter on equipment than when they first started the contest. Ottowa’s lone goal of the period was scored by Colin Greening at 18:40 stemming from a terrible mistake by Thomas, who otherwise managed a fantastic effort in goal.

The second period started with an outstanding chance that the B’s couldn’t capitalize on. Brad Marchand couldn’t handle a feed from Tyler Seguin on a 2-1 at 3:20, and the puck sailed wide of Anderson. The Sens then went on to add two more goals, the first of which was scored by Kyle Turris at 7:43 off an amazing pass from Daniel Alfredsson that traveled the full width of the ice. Down 3-1, the B’s managed to cut the deficit in half with 45 seconds remaining in the period with a great play from Milan Lucic, with strong assists from Rich Peverley and Joe Corvo.

The third period was all action for the first ten minutes. Marchand tied it up with a hard fought goal on a great effort play. With Chris Phillips draped all over him, he flipped a loose puck behind Anderson, and then poked it over the goal line. Anderson then made an unparalleled error when he allowed Seidenberg to score his miracle goal at 7:09. After the B’s took the 4-3 lead, there was never any doubt. It’s actually shocking that they didn’t manage to score again, because Lucic had a number of fantastic opportunities midway through the period that he couldn’t capitalize on. This game should be a huge confidence booster for the Bruins. They managed a two goal comeback win without two major contributors, and played about as clean and solid a brand of hockey as you can.