72°

Ending the semester while battling stress

As the semester winds down, a student sits in the UHS office in order to get a quick checkup to keep their mental and physical wellbeing as healthy as possible. Photo from The Mass Media archives.

As we get deeper into crunch time, stress becomes a common emotion felt by many students on campus. According to the American Psychological Association, “more than 60% of college students met the criteria for at least one mental health problem,” showing just how common these issues are. 

It’s a battle shared by many, and as the semester begins to end, it’s normal for these feelings of stress and anxiety to amplify. But while a lot of students are familiar with anxiety or stress, not many know how to deal with it.  

This is why I would like to mention some tips that are proven to help certain audiences relieve feelings of stress. Hopefully, these can help us get through the end of this semester with our sanity intact! 

Since we’re all students that can understand why those around us feel stressed as the semester closes, I believe this highlights our need for a sense of community during these times. As the saying goes, “it takes a village.” This can take many forms, all depending on your comfort levels and goals. 

Around campus there are school events with fun games and food, study groups and tutoring labs, and even places for small get-togethers with a few friends. All of these are ways different people prepare to attack the stress in their lives; whether it’s through working with others or taking a break to have some fun, all are equally valid as we find our own unique ways to cope. 

For some other people, they may prefer just talking with someone one-on-one to release some emotions and tension. There are many ways to approach this method too, whether it be with a friend or a therapist from UMass Boston’s Counseling Services 

If you find that most of your stress comes during studying, it’s important to find ways to mediate your anxiety by finding a routine that works best for you. Some people work well studying for a straight eight hours and can retain the information. For me, I work better with multiple breaks and reward systems. Knowing what works best for you is all about trial and error, but regardless of which method you find, just know that everything good in life requires balance. 

If you’re studying hard and catching up on assignments, make sure that you also look after yourself. It’s easy to become overwhelmed and not prioritize your well-being when stressed. I’ve had times where I put school first and my well-being second, and a few of my friends told me they’ve felt the same, too. 

This is why it’s important to listen to yourself. While that’s easier said than done, it’s essential for you to sleep and eat well to be best prepared for the trials and tribulations that life gives you.  

Even exercising or going outside proves to be beneficial for mental health and boosting feelings of happiness. I try going out for a 30-minute walk once a day, since it’s so easy to be glued to my computer; I always notice my mood improves after getting some fresh air and sunlight! 

Finally, this is something that’s often overlooked, but it’s vital to ask for help if you need it, whether it’s from a student you only talked to once, a professor or tutoring centers. It’s important to reach out to people when things are confusing or seem a bit too big to handle. We’ve all been stressed, so it’s possible to feel empathy for each other when we see someone trying to stay afloat. 

I know we’ve all worked extremely hard this school year, and as it ends, I want to say I’m so proud of all the progress we’ve made! For those graduating, I hope you end this year strong and look forward with excitement to the next chapter that awaits you. 

Let’s all continue to look out for each other as this year ends, while still making sure to do what’s best for you and your long-term success! 

Mercy Moncada, Opinions Writer