69°

Women’s hockey drops one, draws another in NEHC games

Woman’s hockey player Kristen Briggs takes a shot during a past game against Vermont State University Castleton. Photo provided by Beacons Athletics.

The hockey season is now in full throttle, and after some out-of-conference games against Worcester State University and Western New England University, it is time for UMass Boston Women’s Hockey to play some familiar faces. According to Beacons Athletics, the Beacons kicked off their conference play against Plymouth State University and Vermont State University Castleton. [1]

As the game kicked off, Beacons Athletics reported that things were fairly quiet. It wasn’t until the end of the first period that a Plymouth State penalty opened the door for the Beacons to take the lead. With three and a half minutes left, Margeaux Butters put the Beacons on the board up 1–0. [2]

It seems the first goal of the game was exactly what was needed to spark some offense, as the Panthers answered back not even two minutes into the second period with a goal of their own, tying things up 1–1. The Beacons spent a lot of the second period getting shots on goal, but it just seemed like nothing would fall their way. [2]

Right before the period ended, the Panthers took a 2–1 lead and things were looking worrisome for the Beacons. However, Katie Wilbert found Liz Kramp for the tying goal halfway through the third, firing the squad up. The Beacons’ happiness was short-lived, as the Panthers were able to secure one more goal toward the end of the period, resulting in a 3–2 loss; the team’s first of the season. [2]

Despite the disappointing outcome, the Beacons kept their heads high as they traveled to Castleton, Vermont to take on the Spartans. [1] According to Beacons Athletics, the Beacons spent the majority of the first period bombarding the Spartans with shots on goal, taking 14 of them. By the end of the period, they had a 1–0 lead after Wilbert and Butters set Kristen Briggs up for the score. [3]

The second period was more of the same from the Beacons, shot attempt after shot attempt to no avail. They found themselves on the other end of two power plays, allowing the Spartans to get off plenty of shots themselves. Just as the Beacons thought they had escaped the power play disadvantage, the Spartans scored and tied the game up 1–1 right after the last power play ended. [3]

Despite plentiful opportunities in both the third and overtime periods, neither team could finish the other off. The Beacons earned their first New England Hockey Conference point in a 1–1 draw with the Spartans. Although that may not be the most ideal outcome, there was plenty of good for the Beacons to take away from the game. [3]

Leah Bosch had herself quite a game, as the sophomore goalie stopped 22 of the 23 shots on goal from the Spartans. For most of the night, she was an impenetrable wall. Not to mention, the Beacons managed to get off 32 shots on goal, showing that they clearly ooze offensive potential. [3]

Over Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 25  and 26, the Beacons will be partaking in the 16th Annual Codfish Bowl Tournament. They will start off playing Amherst College and the Mammoths on the first day and will play either Bowdoin College or Suffolk University on day two, potentially for a championship. This should be a great opportunity for the Beacons to show their true abilities off. [1]

The Beacons have yet to get their first win against an NEHC team but still have plenty of opportunities to do so. [1] Despite that, they look to be a competitive team that can give anybody trouble. With their ability to get shots off, and excellent goalie play, there is certainly reason to be optimistic.  

Sources

1. https://beaconsathletics.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/schedule
  2. https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/11/3/womens-ice-hockey-womens-hockey-drops-nehc-opener-at-plymouth.aspx
  3. https://beaconsathletics.com/news/2023/11/5/womens-ice-hockey-bosch-locks-down-late-to-secure-draw-against-castleton.aspx

Liam Crampton, Sports Writer