52°

Explore the vast shopping opportunities of Newbury Street

Customers sit at tables and enjoy their drinks at Mr. Tea on Newbuy Street. Photo by Michelle Dang / Mass Media Staff.

In the heart of Boston, the prestigious neighborhood of Back Bay harbors one of the most notable shopping districts in the city. With eight blocks of distinct and unique shops and restaurants, there is no limit to the shopping and sightseeing opportunities that lie on the famous Newbury Street.

Spanning a mile long, Newbury Street is known for both its variety of low-end and luxury shops as well as its thrilling shopping experience. Shoppers can satisfy their hunger and thirst at one of its many chic cafés and restaurants. With a mix of historic 19th-century brownstones and urban retail buildings, the contrasting classical and modern architecture is yet another one of its charms that attracts visitors.

Because of the diverse selection, Newbury Street caters to people with interests of all kinds, and even those with the most obscure niche are likely to find something special.

For anime enthusiasts, Anime Zakka is the shop to visit. From the moment they enter the Studio Ghibli-decorated storefront, visitors are greeted with the sight of displays filled with merchandise from various recognizable anime. Figurines, pins, plushies and branded items line each corner of the shop.

With sections dedicated to Studio Ghibli, Pokémon, Hatsune Miku and other Japanese media, Anime Zakka is the perfect shop for those with money to spend and a desire to acquire rare collectibles from their favorite anime.

Just across the street, boasting a wide variety of pop-culture merchandise and music items, is the famed Newbury Comics. First opened on and named after Newbury Street itself, the comic book and music retailer appeals to a broad audience with its extensive collection that stretches to three separate floors.

The first floor offers a range of general merchandise and apparel from popular forms of media, including an expansive wall of Funko Pop! figures. On the second floor, plushies and anime-related items are strewn about in between bookshelves of manga volumes, graphic novels and comic books.

However, it is only at the back of the shop where visitors can find the more elusive entrance to the basement. Filled with CDs, vinyl records and Funko Pop! figures of prominent musical artists, the basement is a hidden paradise for lovers of any music genre.

Though Newbury Street hosts a variety of household names in apparel and beauty such as lululemon, Zara, H&M, Glossier and Sephora, hidden gems usually appear within the lesser-known shops that are difficult to find elsewhere in Boston.

As a Japanese cosmetics shop, Reiwatakiya sells a multitude of Asian-brand beauty and skincare products, though its inventory consists of more than simply cosmetics.

With a stock of imported snacks from East Asia and Sanrio plushies, visitors are invited to a shopping experience usually found only in shops in Japan and Korea. The pastel-colored interior is welcoming to all, and the delightful offering of items to purchase will leave customers looking forward to the next visit.

A trip to Newbury Street must include a taste of the sweet treats offered by food vendors. Visitors can take the time to relax with a delicious mochi doughnut from Mochi Dough, which shares an establishment with the Vietnamese restaurant PhoReal. Flavors range from more traditional matcha to hot chocolate, and donuts are priced at $4.25 for one donut.

After indulging in a mochi doughnut, enjoy some flavorful bubble tea across the street at Mr. Tea. Those with a sweet tooth can try the caramel tiramisu milk tea, while those looking for a more distinct taste may enjoy one of their specialty drinks with cheese-flavored foam.

To reach Newbury Street, UMass Boston students can take the Red Line from JFK/UMass to Broadway and board the 9 Copley bus to the Ring Road at Boylston Street stop. Newbury Street is also accessible through other train lines, being just a six-minute walk away from the Back Bay stop on the Orange Line. On the Green line, one end of the street is reachable through the Hynes Convention Center stop, while the Copley stop allows easy access to the middle of Newbury Street.

With avenues of shopping possibilities, the vast number of buildings to explore on Newbury Street certainly provides the opportunity for visitors to continue coming back to see what each shop has to offer.