68°

Students are constantly frustrated with our country’s system

Students and faculty protest tuition price increases—amongst other issues—at the inauguration held on April 5. Photo submitted by protester.

As the months go on, I’ve become overwhelmingly aware of the way our country runs. Things have become worse, with rising costs of living and aspects of our lives that seemed obtainable before now feeling increasingly out of reach.  

After talking to students on campus, I realize many people are feeling these same concerns. Some are really starting to realize that their voices are being silenced in the name of profit, and recent resistance from students is proof. 

There was a 2.5 percent increase in tuition costs this year after a 12-2 vote from The University of Massachusetts’ Board of Trustees. Those two votes against the increase were UMass students, which shows just how little our opinions as students matter when weighed against revenue. 

I asked a fellow classmate, Mai, what they thought about this increase and how it personally affects them. Mai offered a perfect perspective into the frustrations of many students on campus.  

They expressed, “I’m working a 9-5 to afford necessities and higher education, so I would appreciate it if the administration considered the needs and opinions of their students more.” 

As someone who also has two jobs outside of school, I often meet students who are already struggling to make ends meet. Now with constant rises in prices for groceries, gas and now education, people are becoming frustrated with this false image of the “American dream” that used to be so admirable. 

American greed is becoming alarmingly apparent, and although many people in power will say that the reason for raising prices is to “stay ahead of inflation,” the way money is being distributed paints a different picture.  

It’s no surprise that even in moments of turmoil, such as our recent pandemic, those on top don’t feel the effects of this inflation. During the peak of the pandemic, after 1 million lives had been lost in America, billionaires saw a 58 percent increase in wealth, totaling about $1.7 trillion, according to Inequality.org. [1]  

Meanwhile, I’m sure many of us knew people who were struggling to get food on the table, on top of worrying about the lives of their immunocompromised and elderly loved ones. Capitalism makes sure that some thrive while others just try to survive. This statistic is, in my opinion, so dystopian it’s mind-blowing. 

When I asked Mai if they’re frustrated with the way our nation values profit over lives, Mai answered with a lengthy response covering how wrong it is for our society’s grind culture to value humans based on how well—or whether they even can—contribute to society. 

They said, “It’s honestly depressing how little empathy is extended to [disabled and marginalized groups] because we live in a society that places value on people based on their ability to contribute.”  

Mai expressed true frustration and disappointment with how our nation is being operated, and they aren’t the only one. So many students are feeling the effects that our economy has on those who barely scrape by. 

Homelessness is increasing in many major cities, as closet spaces are being rented for $1,200 in places like New York City. Others are living in their cars to at least have some sort of shelter.

Our society needs a clear rework to truly help those at the bottom who are struggling to even get the rights that humans deserve, such as access to affordable food and safe water, affording necessities without signing their souls into debt, and just having a higher quality of life.

A ton of people are struggling, and those on top are so disconnected from reality that it feels like people’s complaints are being spoken into a black void that only understands money. 

I honestly believe change is possible if our nation unites in the fight for better livelihoods. However, we don’t have the power needed if we’re fighting amongst ourselves. Capitalism is synonymous with hierarchies, and it’s time for those of us at the bottom to unite and rework the system created by those at the top. 

SOURCES: 

[1] https://inequality.org/great-divide/updates-billionaire-pandemic/  

Mercy Moncada, Opinions Writer