66°

Beacon Update 3/22

Baseball

3-6 (0-0 LEC)

The guys got off to a fast paced start to the season in Florida, where they played nine games in seven days. They started off slowly, losing five of their first six, the only win being a 4-2 triumph over St. Joseph’s (Maine) in the RussMatt invitational. They then rattled off back-to-back one-run victories over Concordia University (5-4) and McDaniel College (7-6) before losing to William Patterson of New Jersey, 11-2, to round out their trip. The guys will have a new home this year in Brockton at Campanella Stadium, so there is plenty of new energy surrounding the program. Pitcher Kyle Szatrowski is leading the way for the Beacons so far with a 2-0 record, 3.00 ERA, and 15 innings pitched. He seems to be carrying the momentum from his no-hitter late last year into this year’s campaign. There is still plenty of time for the 2010 LEC champs to put together a successful season and contend in the conference. We’ll see if they can put together a run.

Softball

2-6 (0-0 LEC)

Like the Baseball team, Beacons softball took a trip down to Florida to open up 2013. They couldn’t have started off better, with a 13-0 thumping of Thomas College in Clermont and 6-2 win over Bates. However, after those first two wins, they haven’t won since. The closest they came to a win was a 1-0 defeat at the hands of SUNY Plattsburgh. Erika Vecchiet has been leading the way for the lades with a .474 average, four RBIs, and seven walks. The ladies will begin conference play soon and settle into their normal schedule of double headers at the Clark Center, so there is a chance for them to turn around after the slow start, but they need to do it quickly or the season could get away from them quickly.

Lacrosse

2-5 (0-0 LEC)

The guys started off their last stretch with a 9-7 win at Nichols, and then a 10-9 loss in a home game that was moved to Wentworth Institute of Technology. They’ve lost their last three since then, but are taking a trip down to the Washington, D.C., area. If they can get some quality wins there, they’ll come back to Boston with some momentum and a whole lot of confidence. Midfielder Donny Delpha is leading the way with 14 goals and 4 assists, and Thomas Pettiti hasn’t been far behind with 12 goals of his own. Sophomore Henry Bristol has started every game for the Beacons in net, and he currently boasts a save percentage of 61 percent.

Men’s Tennis

2-2 (0-0 LEC)

Coach Eric Berg’s squad started off 2013 in Kissimmee, FL, with a tough 9-0 loss at the hands of Nichols College. After defeating North Central College, 6-3, they again lost 9-0 to the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez. The guys are now returning to Boston, where they’ll get into the grind of their regular season and because they’ve played so few matches, it’s really impossible to tell what kind of team this will be. Stay tuned.