66°

Beacon Update 5/3/2013

Baseball

15-19 (7-5 LEC)

The guys have had a pretty tough stretch lately. They played a very long doubleheader against Keene State on the April 21, in which they lost the first game, 4-3 in 11 innings and the 2nd game, 13-4. On the following Tuesday, they traveled up north, where they shut out Southern Maine, 4-0. When they returned to Boston that Thursday, they were defeated by MIT in another 11 inning thriller, 4-3, before sweeping Plymouth State in a doubleheader on the April 27, 12-0 and 1-0. They’ve lost their last two, 3-0 at Endicott and 2-1 at Wheaton.

The big story this year has been the emergence of Kyle Szatrowski, one of the most dominant starters in the conference. The sophomore has compiled a record of 5-1 with a minute 1.95 ERA. In 51 innings pitched, Szatrowski has a tiny WHIP of 1.12. He is certainly the MVP of this squad and a LEC player of the year contender.

Softball

15-27 (5-9 LEC) Eliminated in first round of tournament

The ladies ended their regular season on a hot streak. They swept a doubleheader against Southern Maine on the April 24, 6-1 and 3-2. After losing their first game, they came back and won the second in a doubleheader against Salem State behind a complete game from Michelle Zullo, 4-0. In their regular season finale, the ladies split with Rhode Island College, winning the first game 2-0 and losing the 2nd, 4-0. Once the regular season ended, they took on Eastern Connecticut in the LEC tournament. In the double elimination format, they lost the game 5-1, and were then defeated later that day by Rhode Island College, 2-0, to end their season.

Lacrosse

6-12 (3-4 LEC) Eliminated in first round of tournament

This stretch started off very positively for the Beacons. They won back to back one goal games. On the April 20, they defeated Salem State at home, 15-14 and beat Southern Maine on April 22, 6-5. Unfortunately, the guys headed into the postseason with an ugly loss in the regular season finale. They traveled to Eastern Connecticut State, where they lost 20-0, it was the first time the Beacons had been shut out all year.

They never fully recovered from the blowout loss, and were eliminated in the first round of the LEC tournament at the hands of the Plymouth State on the April 30, 17-11.

Men’s Tennis

13-3 (6-0 LEC)

The guys have been the surprise of the spring season. They haven’t lost a match since their season opening trip to Florida over Spring Break, and none of the matches have even been close. Alex Lai, Greg Fleming, Alex Loyer, and company have torched the northeast with their exceptional play. They started the last stretch with wins over Johnson and Wales (8-1), Western Connecticut (9-0) and Bridgewater State (ditto) on their way to the top seed in the LEC tournament. Eric Berg’s squad dominated Bridgewater State in the semifinals at Harvard, 5-1. In a thriller the following Saturday, they headed to the MIT campus, where they barely squeaked by UMass Dartmouth to grab the LEC crown, 5-4. This is the first conference championship in program history and is a fitting honor in a fantastic season.  

The doubles combo of Lai and Loyer has been especially lethal this year, they have gone a perfect 11-0. David Hernandez and Alex Loyer are tied for the team lead in individual victories with 14 a piece. The guys are now waiting to hear who they will face in the NCAA tournament, but no matter who it is, the unlucky opponents will be taking on the hottest team in the country right now.