66°

New Coach Hired for Men’s Soccer

Coach+Beverlin
Coach Beverlin

After the resignation of 10-year head coach Myles Berry, the UMass men’s soccer team will enter next season with a new coach running the show from the sidelines.

Alaska native Jake Beverlin, who will take on the task of leading the squad to become one of the best teams in Division 3, is the sixth coach in the program’s history. The Beacons have had an up-and-down stretch over the past few seasons, but they will be energized with Beverlin taking over for 2013.

Beverlin, who played for San Francisco State, has past accomplishments that cannot go unnoticed. The new coach spent four years holding the assistant head coaching position at Bunker Hill Community college. Beverlin helped lead the Bulldogs to a 36-4-3 record over the last two years. The Bulldogs also saw their first final four appearance in the NJCAA National Tournament.

Beverlin previously helped coach the Women’s Professional Soccer League’s Boston Breakers and played a major role in the team’s WPSL regular season championship in 2012. He also worked as the Director of Soccer Operations at Boston University, where two America East titles were won during his time with the Terriers.

While the season may be over, Beverlin went right to work after his hiring. The 2009 SFS graduate is already looking to acquire new players that will help this team compete at a higher level next year.

“Recruiting has been going pretty well,” Beverlin said.

The new coach is not looking ahead to next year’s record. His main focus is to have his team competing on a daily basis.

“The good win and loss records will come, but we have to be competitive,” Beverlin said. He added “UMass Boston has never been competitive in soccer. Being competitive right away is our main goal. If you focus on the process and not results and individual performances, the results will take care of themselves.”

Last season, the Beacons soccer team suffered a down year and failed to make an appearance in the tournament. The Beacons will be off to a fresh start next season with a determined coach who is ready to put some tough past seasons behind.

The men’s soccer team will enter this season looking to make a run in the Little East conference and Division III. But they are also still searching for the program’s first post season victory.

There are some stellar pieces coming back next year and coach Beverlin is determined to being in a solid recruiting class. The first year coach has had success everywhere he has gone, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to think that he could change the culture quickly here at UMass Boston.