66°

New ADA Compliance Officer Comes to UMass Boston

In an interview with The Mass Media, Collins told reporters that “it is a great opportunity working at the University of Massachusetts on Diversity and Inclusion issues.” He added, “When you specialize in this field you seek out opportunities like this one where the administration is going to be supportive.”

Bill Collins, the new Director of Diversity and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Officer at UMass Boston’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion, started work on Feb. 11, 2013. Collins, who is originally from Central Massachusetts, came to the university from Florida, where he was a part of the Office of Reasonable Accommodation in Miami-Dade County. He also served as a lecturer at Barry University.

As the compliance officer for the university, one of Collins’ key responsibilities is to help make sure that the buildings at UMass Boston meet with the architectural requirements put forth by the ADA. He will evaluate requests for accommodations and services from disabled faculty, staff, students, and visitors, and he will also be responsible for conducting all investigations into alleged discrimination at UMass Boston. Carol De Souza, the last compliance officer, retired in September 2012 after 22 years of public service.

Juan Nunez, UMass Boston’s Chief Diversity Officer, believes that Collins is up to the challenge. “Bill is an expert in disability issues and fair employment practices, and has extensive experience in the area of diversity management,” Nunez said.