63°

Dodgeball Tournament Set for February 28

Courtesy of Sean Munson on Flickr 

Let’s face the facts here: We are all caught in situations we detest. How can we escape the horrors of everyday burdens and obligations? It’s no easy task, that’s for sure. Some people take on exercise, and that can be quite productive for an individual. Now picture this: It’s a thursday afternoon, you might find yourself done with classes. With Friday a few breaths away, it’s time to relieve some tension. Is there any better way to do that than with a friendly dodge ball tournament? 

Thanks to our wonderful Intramural Sports department, such an event is possible. Your bad memories from gym class are back with a vengeance, except this game isn’t your dad’s dodgeball. On Thursday Feb. 28, at 3:30 pm, a one-day tournament will be held in the racquetball court in the Beacon Fitness Center. Teams will dodge to the end, three on three. Luckily for our students and faculty, Intramural Sports is available for all, with no application fees or contracts. “We hold these activities so our students and faculty can participate in something different, other than the main sports,” says Rick Sledzick, an intramural supervisor.

Participants are welcome to walk in at the time of the event, with a team or as a free agent. Participants entering as free agents will later be paired with other free agents.

Pre-registration is encouraged by Monday, Feb. 25. The captain’s meeting will be held Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 3:00 p.m. in the Beacon Fitness Center (on the first floor of McCormack Hall). Once the action gets underway, the tournament will gradually narrow down to two final opponents. The champion team will all receive Intramural Sports department T-shirts.

A similar dodgeball tournament was held last year in the Clark Center gymnasium. There were four teams, each with five members. The event gained some popularity among the university. As always, these special events are co-ed and everyone is encouraged to participate, including our hardworking professors and other university staff.

Dodgeball is a favorite pastime in which people are actually encouraged to hurl objects at one another (something normally frowned on in the classroom). The game can be very entertaining and can also relieve stress while providing an awesome workout. Everyone should feel free to take a step out of the norm and participate in events such as these.